Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 10" table saw blades

Blades and a little off-track

I use WWIIs and like them.

Off track: Has Freud improved in the last twenty years? In the late eighties/early nineties I did not like anything I got from Freud. WoodWorker II was the first blade I put on my tablesaw that could put a smile on my face, so I've stuck with this brand for many years. These days I see a lot of members that favor Freud. I'm thinking I should buy a Freud blade and give the brand a fresh try.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 03-23-2010 at 8:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
    I use WWIIs and like them.

Off track: Has Freud improved in the last twenty years? In the late eigties/early nineties I did not like anything I got from Freud. WoodWorker II was the first blade I put on my tablesaw that could put a smile on my face, so I've stuck with this brand for many years. These days I see a lot of members that favor Freud. I'm thinking I should buy a Freud blade and give the brand a fresh try.
    Never tried a Freud blade prior to 2002, have tried several to date and have never had a serious complaint...most have been really good for the price point and blade type. Note that they have more than one line...I'd suggest trying their best, the Premier line which includes the P410 Fusion.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've used a 10" WWII 40T Full 1/8" Kerf, on a 1 & 3/4 hp Ridgid table saw for the last 8 years, I use it for everything. I've done rip cuts on 9 foot long 12/4 Purpleheart with no problems, and edge laminated them for a bar top. I have never had any problems with mine, and if I needed a new one I definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I have a freud Diablo, that's brand new that is sitting in my tool chest for at least 7 of those 8 years. I just have never needed it. For the folks that have used the WWII and aren't impressed, you didn't happen to lay the blade on it's side on your cast iron table did you? If you did, you broke the tips of the carbide teeth off, hence why it didn't perform to expectations.

Another vote for Freuds GluLam blade

i too, hate changing blades. i went through a bunch of different blades til i finally ordered a wwll 30 tooth and i don't remember ever changing to another blade. i did spend a lot of time making sure my saw was set up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Milind Patil View Post
    I am not sure if this topic has been chewed on this forum already. Can experienced folks here suggest the best 10" table saw blades that will give super clean cuts ? And is there not any blade that can give joint quality cuts for both ripping and cross cutting (so that I don't need to deal with multiple blades with multiple tasks). I really hate changing the blades (no matter how easy it is).
    Does anyone ever do a search here ?

I've got the Freud Diablo 40T and am very happy with its performance.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by rocky brown View Post
    ...i finally ordered a wwll 30 tooth and i don't remember ever changing to another blade....
    +1.
    The 40T seems to get all the hype, but IMO the 30T is much more of a do-all blade.
    - Tom

I read all the older blade threads. Damn Scott, you really researched and know your blades!!

Has anyone tried the Oshlun blades? Maybe you can try one Scott and let us know what YOU think.

I just ordered and received the 50T combo. I think it was $27 at Amazon. I love their dado blade set as do others.

Reading on their site it's kerf is 0.11. About half-way between thin and full kerf. C4 carbide. Just doesn't have the anti-whatever coating.

I'll be trying it soon, but my opinion is worth beans seeing as I've never used anything you guys are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Todd View Post
    Does anyone ever do a search here ?

Why? When you just have to ask the question.....

I like my WWII not just for the cut but it also withstood not 1 but 2 shots of my SawStop brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    Why? When you just have to ask the question.....

I like my WWII not just for the cut but it also withstood not 1 but 2 shots of my SawStop brake.
    Okayyyy, you opened the door on THAT one. What the heck happened to you that the SS brake system was triggered twice. PS< we all hope you're totally OK and have all fingers intact

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    I read all the older blade threads. Damn Scott, you really researched and know your blades!!

Has anyone tried the Oshlun blades? Maybe you can try one Scott and let us know what YOU think.

I just ordered and received the 50T combo. I think it was $27 at Amazon. I love their dado blade set as do others.

Reading on their site it's kerf is 0.11. About half-way between thin and full kerf. C4 carbide. Just doesn't have the anti-whatever coating.

I'll be trying it soon, but my opinion is worth beans seeing as I've never used anything you guys are talking about.
    I've had a 40T Oshlun full kerf general purpose blade for over a year now and find it to be a very good blade and a great value. It's surprisingly well made, with large C4 carbide and copper silencer plugs. It's not quite to the level of a premium Infinity Super General or WWII (few are), but @ ~$25 shipped, it's a solid performer on it's own merit and is dirt cheap comparatively. Holbren offers 10% with "SMC10" discount code, low shipping/free s/h on orders of $75.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post

That's good to know.... Not that I ever hope to use my brake.

To answer Jon Todd, yes I do "searches". Sometimes happy, sometimes not, sometimes forget to before I ask the question. But you're right, that should be the first thing to come to mind, but right after one of those "bad" searches, you're kind of turned off to using the search function.

I'm a WWII fan. Good all around blade and unless I'm going to do a lot of ripping on stuff that's not great quality wood, I don't want to spend time changing blades...or if I'm cutting melamine, e.g. may switch to blade for that type of material. I haven't got the $$$ to spend trying different blades. The WWII works so well I don't try to "fix it".

I have used Freud for years without any problems. Just for the heck of it, I bought a couple of Tenryu rapid cut (thin kerf) blades recently. Boy are they nice. Popped the 24 tooth one in the table saw recently and buzzed through red oak and southern yellow pine with no problem. They aren't much to look at but I was impressed with the quality of the cut.