SMC has a mentoring list for all woodworking forums started by Keith Outten several years ago but it is hard to find and is not up to date.
Setting up, sharpening, and using hand tools is something that is far more difficult to describe in writing than the relatively standard processes related to power tools. First of all there are far more types of tools, and if you include the multitude of brands made over the last 200 years which are still available to many of us, the task becomes almost impossible. However, most hand tools still share many common traits and an experienced user often knows how to adapt their personal knowledge to different situations.
We are fortunate to have many experienced users on this forum and many of them are willing to share their knowledge and expertise. Forum posts are OK to transfer knowledge and videos are even better, but nothing beats hand on mentoring. The immediate feedback of having someone instruct you, watch you while you practice, and correct your mistakes in real time jsut can't be beat.
Here is how I propose we run this program.
1) This thread will be maintained on the first page of the Neanderthal Forum as a "sticky" so that it is always visible.
2) Members and Contributors who are willing to mentor people will post their name and the topics they are willing to help with here on this thread.
3) Mentors will please give their location. State and town should be sufficient.
4) Members and Contributors who are seeking assistance will be responsible for making contact with a mentor. This should be done either by using a PM (Private Message) or by going to the mentor's profile and clicking on "send______ an email". Do not post requests for mentoring in this thread.
5) All arrangements are strictly between the mentor and the person seeking assistance and must be non-commercial in nature. We are not setting up a program for instructors to advertise and sell their services.
6) Since it is not possible to edit your posts offering your assistance after 48 hours, please PM me (Dave Anderson NH) if you need to do any of the following: remove your offer, change your location, add or remove things you are willing to help teach.
7) Please post any suggestions or questions in this thread that you may have about this program.