Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Bench Preview

1. I was curious if the bench could be easily height adjusted with a bench top lathe attached. Would eliminate some of the height disparity problems you encounter at woodturning classes. Maybe no need for boxes to stand on...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Mike, it could be, but you would be lifting the weight of both the benchtop you use and the tool. If you can handle that...no problem. (I wouldn't do it with the big heavy slab I'm using, but a smaller benchtop would work fine) A mini isn't all that heavy, so for most folks it wouldn't be much of a burden. And this is a nice example of a practical use...everyone has different "ideal" heights for tools and benches. (And sometimes they change based on what you are doing)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-08-2004 at 10:29 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

The Veritas twin screw would work very well on this great bench and maybe a Record on the front...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    The Veritas twin screw would work very well on this great bench and maybe a Record on the front...
    I agree, although Records are hard to come by these days...Lee Valley has some nice face vice choices that I'll probably end up picking from. I'm somewhat kicking myself for not picking up a Record when they were blowing them out awhile back!

the Jorgensen and Wilton are both good and a patternmakers is nice...the copies are less$
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Pictures Of Assembled Bench In The Shop

I took some time tonight to get the bench reassembled in the shop. While there is work to do with it relative to the vices, at least it's usable in the mean time as a nice, big work surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on the new goodies Jim! The bench is a great idea. Vices huh? Nothing illegal I hope (sorry couldn't resist ).

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    Congrats Vices huh? Nothing illegal I hope (sorry couldn't resist ).
    Does being a dirty old man count as a vice?? Or is that just a personal quality?

Personal quality of course!! The bench looks right at home in your shop.

Careful Jim...Too many more new toys in there, and you ain't a' gonna' have room to move, much less assemble anything! Nice bench! Can't wait to see it with all the goodies on it.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I picked up a real heavy-duty drafting table that I use for an assembly bench. For heavy casework I drop it all the way down where the loose side is supported by a 2 x 4 to keep everything flat & level. For anything else that I want to raise up, I just step on the foot release & let the big ol' springs lift the table. It's surprisingly stable when in the up position; I can stand on it. It's 40" x 72" and the best part: It was free!!!

Just as an update to this thread, I ordered a side vice from Lee Valley to start as well as their dog system. I'm going to set the bench up that way for the time being and hold off on the end vise situation until I see what my needs really are in that respect. (Not to mention that I've reached my limit at the moment on this project...) I will post futher pictures once I start reconfiguring for vices, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    (Not to mention that I've reached my limit at the moment on this project...)
    I starting to wonder if you were superman and made of money
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka
    I starting to wonder if you were superman and made of money
    Some of my fiscal year end compensation went to tools. The rest went to the new bay windows so Dr. SWMBO doesn't have to pay for all of it as well as savings! (She handles the line; I cover the mortgage)

so what was the damage on this beast ? Asking for retail price. I know you got a deal.