Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing protective paper from old Plexiglass?

Removing protective paper from old Plexiglass?

I have a chance to pick up on some aged white plexiglass that still has the protective paper on it. Needless to saw, the paper is stuck to it. Is there anything that will make the paper release? I would like to use it to practice on with my CNC router.

Thanks,
    John

Try Goo Gone, let it soak in a while. It doesn't release the paper but it softens the adhesive so its easier to peel and scrape off.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

I've not had luck with soaking, it has made a mess because the paper deteriorates but the inside part against the acrylic is plastic so the liquid never reaches the adhesive. I have used a heat gun (carefully) or hair dryer and it helps some but it's still a chore.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I had luck in using a Hair dryer and heated up to loosen the glue

I've had pretty good luck with WD40. You just have to be patient, and let it work.

Well, most liquids don't penetrate the plastic membrane, as Joe pointed out. A blow drier is slow. I have a hotter heat gun I will give a try.

Thanks,
    John

I haven't had an opportunity to try this, but applying steam to the backing might remove it. I have an old steam machine (it is NOT a carpet cleaner) that I have used to remove all sorts of wallpaper and sticker residue over the last 15 years. Now that I think about it, I have used it to clean all sorts of plastics and other items that regular hard-core scrubbing could not successfully clean. (hmmmm.. I may need to dig it out from storage and test it out on some engraved products....) Anyway, you would need to be careful. I have melted a few things over the years but they most-likely had vinyl on them. BTW. The steamer is a household cleaning machine and not strong enough to steam clean an engine.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Followup. I used a heat gun set at around 500 degrees to warm the paper. It was slow going and the plastic membrane peeled off in small pieces. I did a 24x28 piece on one side to practice on. I mostly learned its not worth the time and effort!

John

I've tried and failed with all of the suggestions above and more. DNA works as well as anything but don't expect miracles.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Just curious - what kind of protective paper do you have there? I mostly see a thin white paper here (not plasticy at all) but some of the USA imports have a brown paper with a plasticy coating. Here in the tropics, removal of both kinds often is difficult. There is no obvious adhesive with the white paper and it either falls off before use or sticks like paint. Hot soapy water seems to work as well as anything when it sticks.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Mine had brown paper with a very thin plastic layer that contacted the plexiglass. Wetting the paper just makes a mess and doesn't penetrate the plastic layer. Dry heat seemed to work the best.

John

I have some here I picked up someplace.. It has brown paper on one side, and white on the other. The white side is printed with the text informing you that that side is the abrasive resistant side?? I've never seen two sided acrylic before..and it is acrylic, not polycarb. I assume it's treated with something, or somehow to prevent scratches
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

"Acrylic Sheet AR is a continuously manufactured acrylic sheet which utilizes the proprietary 3M 906 abrasion resistant coating on one (AR1) or both (AR2)."
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Ahh Cool.. Thanks John... This is just some stuff that I picked up someplace. I previously didn't know you could get acrylic with a abrasion resist on it.. I'll have to test a piece, and see how resistant it is..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    If it's the same stuff DeGussa sells, it's pretty damn amazing stuff. They include a piece of steel wool in the sample pack, and it takes a real beating without showing signs of haziness or scratches.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5