Thread: NEMA L6-20R Remote for Dust Collector

NEMA L6-20R Remote for Dust Collector

I've currently got all my shop 220v machines wired with NEMA L6-20P/R fittings...as most of you may know this is a very expensive process but the current draw and temp profiles for these connections are significantly worth the $$ over time.

Anyway, I've got my 2HP dust collector on one of thse plugs and I'm struggling to find a remote switch that supports L6-20 recepticles. Does anyone know of one out there??

Thanks,
    Chris

6-20P remote is available from Penn State, Amazon, whatever. I haven't seen a remote with L6-20P. Maybe use an adapter?
    - 30124 Nema L6-20P to NEMA 6-20R connector, search for 30124 at conntek dot com.
    You'd lose the benefit of the locking connector, but it would work.

You can make your own remote switch using a contactor and remote controlled lamp module....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris, I standardized on L6-20 for any machine 3hp or less. L6-30 handles 5hp machines. L15-20 connectors for all 3-phase machines 7.5hp or less. All for the convenience of plugging any tool into the same heavy extension cords from my sub panel or rotary phase converter. Besides enjoying the security of the twist-lock, I got a nice deal on a bunch of 'em on eBay. I would never pay *retail* prices that electrical houses demand.

There is no reason to insist on L6-20 for your DC remote. Use whatever is compatable with the proper 20A rating. My Long Ranger remote has a 6-20R connection on the relay module. After all, this is not a connection that will be interchanged with others frequently. It is pretty much a fixed install.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-26-2010 at 12:37 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    You can make your own remote switch using a contactor and remote controlled lamp module....
    +1 - Easy with a DIN Contactor.

Blog Entries
    I would be more choosy about the quality and functionality of the remote. Once that is decided, swap the outlet. My point is that I would not let my outlet type dictate my product selection ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jackson View Post
    I've currently got all my shop 220v machines wired with NEMA L6-20P/R fittings...as most of you may know this is a very expensive process but the current draw and temp profiles for these connections are significantly worth the $$ over time.

Anyway, I've got my 2HP dust collector on one of thse plugs and I'm struggling to find a remote switch that supports L6-20 recepticles. Does anyone know of one out there??

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris, my experience in industry leads me to believe that straight blade devices actually perform better under contnuous loads than the locking type receptacles/connectors.

We seem to have a hard time getting people to check that they've fully rotated the locking connector, ensuring a good connection.

You may have better luck at home, being more careful, however it's easy to tell at a glance whether a straight blade device is properly inserted.

Regards, Rod.

Chris,

If you spend a few hours reading about contactors built using "DIN rails," your world will change. Once you have done one, you will find many ways to improve your shop.

DIN rail electrical fabrication is easy, legal and fun. After a while, your shop's temperature, humidity, DC, air, power systems, you name it, will be as easy as can be.

I use these guys:
    http://www.omega.com/

Does anyone have a good page/source on this DIN rail stuff? This is new to me but it looks interesting...if I can get more info on it and wrap my head around it.

Thanks.....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    I would be more choosy about the quality and functionality of the remote.
    Agreed. However, with a contactor-style solution you can easily swap out your remote for something better.

DC motor -> wire -> contactor in work box -> wire -> NEMA plug -> wall

15A NEMA plug -> remote sensor -> contactor control in work box

In my shop, the DC is hardwired into a dedicated circuit controlled by the contactor. This eliminates the need for extra 30A plugs and receptacles (20A in your case). I use a RF Christmas tree light remote from Radio Shack to control the contactor (cheap and easy).

Chris,

Look at the OMEGA page. They have excellent, massive, free documentation. These things go from a few pages to 4 inch thick books. They will send you the big books for free, all the smaller things are in PDF on their site. The company is all about process control so start with their data division.

http://www.omega.com/
    http://www.omega.com/literature/tran....html#din_rail

Another good sorce for higher power contactors (OMEGA stops at about 10A) is:

http://www.power-io.com/products.htm

For light weight aluminum DIN rail, I use:

http://www.av-outlet.com/index.html?...tml&lang=en-us

One tip for using the twist-lock connectors. Lock the cord in place and make a matching mark on the plug and outlet. This gives you a quick and easy way to visually check that it is fully secured.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Does anyone have a good page/source on this DIN rail stuff? This is new to me but it looks interesting...if I can get more info on it and wrap my head around it.

Thanks.....

I get a lot of my stuff from AutomationDirect. They have Contactors, Overloads, Terminals, Breakers, Push Buttons, PLC's, Enclosures, etc.

The only caution that I would offer is use some care in sizing IEC Type Contactors based on current. They are less forgiving them NEMA Type Contactors for peak current inrush. Also it is wise and prudent to use Motor Overloads along with the Contactors. In the IEC system the Adjustable Overloads attach directly to the base Contactor Module.

gary

Excellent site Gary. Range of products, price, organization, etc. Thanks.

Chris, your post has created a really good discussion.

Great advice on the Omega site...I've been checking it out and this certainly seems the way to go...seems pretty straightforward, even for mechanical guy like myself!