Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need dust collection that really sucks!

I need dust collection that really sucks!

Like the title says, I need to get proactive and do something soon. My shop started off with a table saw and a hand me down craftsman 1hp dust collector. To start with it was enough, though it could probably be argued its 15 years old and has the original filter bags that probably don't do much more than stop chips.

My shop now has grown to take up about the size of a 1.5 car garage (I've taken over about half of our 3 car garage) and I have the following that I'd like to have (proper) dust collection at:

Contractor Style Table Saw
    Router Table
    Band Saw
    12.5" Planer
    6" Jointer
    Chop saw
    Drill press
    Midi Lathe

At the table saw I just have it hooked up at the bottom right now but I am going to get a dust hood for it, in fact I have a lead on a slightly used one in town for cheap. The router is my best setup right now, I have bottom enclosed and hooked up and the fence is hooked up too, I get very little dust from the router if I work it right. The rest of the tools are another story.

I keep putting off designing a proper system and the more I have read and looked into this even running the right duct work my dust collector has to go. My shop get's dusty, bad. I know it's not healthy levels. Everything is covered in dust. I'd really like to stop doing that for many reasons. The number 1 reason being health. It's an attached garage so I know the dust is getting carried into the house. Anyway I think we all agree with this.

So I need some help. I've read and read and read and it sounds like a properly setup cyclone is the way to go but I don't know what that is. I look around and the Penn State units are half what the others are. Obviously I want to spend as little as possible but I want it to be right and be a permanent solution. I want dust collection at everything listed above and I want it to work. It's a one man shop and I only use one machine at a time obviously.

Help!

Dave,

I am pretty much in the same boat as you... I have a "do for now" setup, and I'm looking to upgrade to a permanent DC setup... I too have read TONS of info... I am leaning towards a PSI cylcone, the black 2.5hp Tempest model, but the ebay cyclone w/a PSI blower is a tempting idea too! I've also considered the new "V" model cyclones from Onieda.

Two big factors we need to know are your budget and electrical capacity. I would do the ClearVue cyclone in a heartbeat, but I don't have the juice for a 5hp motor! You really want to get the best setup you can on the budget you have...

Well good luck Dave, I have been trying to buy an DC to supplement my Jet 1100 for two weeks. I placed two orders only to be told they are on back order (G0548Z and PM1300). Penn State also has a lot of merchandise on back order.

Yeah I forgot about power and budget:

Power - I've got whatever I need (well up to 220) available in the shop via an easy to access sub panel and where I plan to locate the dust collector will require me to run some wire anyway so that's sort of non issue

Budget - well as cheap as possible. I don't want to spend anything, isn't that the way this goes? But I'll do what it takes I suppose. I'd like to stay under a grand but I'm not sure if that is going to be possible.

I think it goes without saying that I'd like to keep it as quiet as possible.
    Last edited by Dave Haughs; 03-22-2010 at 11:11 AM.

I installed an Oneida cyclone in the basement of my townhouse about 8 years ago.

It was the best equipment purchase I've made.

It eliminated the ultra fine dust that previously got through the bag type collector.

My shop is clean, my lungs are clean, and the remainder of the house is clean.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. In addition it's made in America, which was also a selling point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

P.S. In addition it's made in America, which was also a selling point for me.

That's most certainly a selling point.

I've briefly looked at that one and the Clear Vue. Everyone boasts about the clear view but the MDF assembly and having to buy and cutup a trashcan just seems sketchy to me, now if its the best bang for the buck I'll give it a try, I just wonder about it and what makes it so special.

What makes a cyclone so much better? Do you get more airflow or is it just that they have better separation and the filters last longer?

Hi Dave, as your post doesn't list your location, I assumed you were in the US, so American made could be a bonus.

Cyclones separate out most of the material before sending the air through the impeller and the filter.

This allows the cyclone to maintain the airflow as the filters don't get plugged, and if you want to use a device like a floor sweep, you can since any metal bits don't go through the fan. (Or blocks of wood).

I only have experience with the Oneida product, when I looked at the cyclones, they seemed to have the best product, it's their only business.

My brother also bought an Oneida cyclone and he's extremely pleased with his as well.

After a good cyclone, capturing dust at the source is the next step, I added an overarm guard (Excalibur) to my table saw, it made a large improvement in how much dust escaped.

Regards, Rod.

Thanks, I forgot my location wasn't listed.

Like I said in the original post I found a PSI hood for my table saw locally used but in new condition, I don't see why that wouldn't work. The lathe will require some sort of hood I guess with lots of airflow.

I'll take a closer look at Oneida, seems like they offer a complete package.

Rod,

Which Oneida do you have? They have the Gorilla and the V series. I'm trying to figure out what separates them.

I started with a Jet 1 HP unit. Was pretty good at getting the big stuff. Unfortunately, the CFM drops as the bags fill up because the air vents through the top and bottom bags.
    My second one was a Jet 1100C (canister) unit that I purchased used for $180. It was a good unit and was able to keep the CFM's up as long as the canister was clean (which takes a lot of work when you run a 16/32 thickness sander). Unfortunately, when I purchased an Excalibur over arm blade guard, the unit was not able to keep up with my needs.
    My current setup is an Oneida V-3000. I called Oneida, gave them my shop layout and they (to my surprise) recommended the V-3000. I seriously would have purchased anything they recommended! Now, I've had it for almost 6 months and I couldn't be happier.
    A cyclone sends very few fine particles to the filter. I maybe get a teaspoon per 35 gallons of sawdust. Therefore, you are very easily able to maintain your rated CFM. For a small one man shop, a cyclone is a great way to go... they just cost a lot of cash .

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Haughs View Post
    Rod,

Which Oneida do you have? They have the Gorilla and the V series. I'm trying to figure out what separates them.
    Hi Dave, I have a 1.5HP component system, which is no longer made. It has a 1.5HP motor, a galvanized cyclone body with a 35 gallon fibre drum and a large external filter.

The performance is as follows with SP in inches of water versus CFM.

1"/957

5"/650

8"/261

The fan curve is essentially straight so you could plot it out if you wish.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Haughs View Post
    Rod,

Dave, I too searched for the answer to the same question! Best I can tell from the stats from Oneida's site, is that the V series is a little shorter that the Gorillas, so the CFM's are slightly lower. They seem to have the same motor/blower... If I go with Oneida it will be the V-3000

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    Dave, I too searched for the answer to the same question! Best I can tell from the stats from Oneida's site, is that the V series is a little shorter that the Gorillas, so the CFM's are slightly lower. They seem to have the same motor/blower... If I go with Oneida it will be the V-3000

Seems like you get more for your money with the Oneida than the Clear View provided they work pretty much the same. Plus the Clear View in my opinion looks cheap and ugly for what you spend.

I went home at lunch and filled out Oneida's form and sent it over so we will see what they have to say.

Another nice thing about the Oneida is Woodcraft carries it so maybe I can get it to their store to avoid shipping??? Hmmm.

I still haven't ruled out PSI or any other canister or bag style, seems like cyclone is the way to go for the long term though....

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Rodriquez View Post
    I started with a Jet 1 HP unit. Was pretty good at getting the big stuff. Unfortunately, the CFM drops as the bags fill up because the air vents through the top and bottom bags.
    My second one was a Jet 1100C (canister) unit that I purchased used for $180. It was a good unit and was able to keep the CFM's up as long as the canister was clean (which takes a lot of work when you run a 16/32 thickness sander). Unfortunately, when I purchased an Excalibur over arm blade guard, the unit was not able to keep up with my needs.
    My current setup is an Oneida V-3000. I called Oneida, gave them my shop layout and they (to my surprise) recommended the V-3000. I seriously would have purchased anything they recommended! Now, I've had it for almost 6 months and I couldn't be happier.
    A cyclone sends very few fine particles to the filter. I maybe get a teaspoon per 35 gallons of sawdust. Therefore, you are very easily able to maintain your rated CFM. For a small one man shop, a cyclone is a great way to go... they just cost a lot of cash .
    How big is your shop? How many drops? Just curious. I just got off the phone with them and they recommended the V-2000 for me. They know better than I do so I will take their work for it, just curious how your setup compares to what I have. They said it would be find adding drops just wouldn't be able to extend the main line another 20 feet, which is fine because I can't anyway.

I've got 5 drops. One to a 15" planer, one to a 10" jointer, two to my ICS Sawstop w/ Excalibur DC, and an extra one that I use for my 18" BS, Performax 16/32, 3 HP Shaper, and my router table. I just roll them over!

My shop is a 989 SF attached garage that I still put 2 cars in. In all, it was $2,200. For me, everything is within 15 feet of the cyclone and I get crazy suction.

Oh, and go with the V3000 if it is in your price range... This will allow you to add an overarm blade guard...
    Last edited by Philip Rodriquez; 03-22-2010 at 5:37 PM.