Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need dust collection that really sucks!

Dave,

With that list of tools and an area of about 20X30 feet, you are in cyclone territory. Although a cyclone represents a commitment of time and money it will give you the best results. Unfortunately, there is very little objective testing under shop conditions to help you make a decision. American Woodworker magazine in 2006 did such an objective test and measured the fan curves under load (true capacity to do work) and the amount of "fine dust" that gets back to the filters (meaning it wasn't separated properly and deposited in the collection bin). The Oneida Super Dust Gorilla series and the Grizzly G44x series did well on both fan curves and separation. The comparable Penn State units did not separate fine dust well at all and the objectively measured fan curve was much lower than what the manufacturer claimed. The ClearVue cyclone was either not around or too new at the time to be included. However, consistent anecdotal evidence from satisfied users attest to exceptional power and fine dust separation. There has been no objective testing of the V-2000/3000 series and it appears to be a price driven design compromise over the Dust Gorilla series.

Mosey over to the Bill Pentz website and spend some time reading about "fine dust", fan curves and "required" static pressure in order to really clean your shop and prevent health problems. Bill has designed what is usually acknowledged as the best cyclone and ClearVue is the company that licensed his design. I looked at them all, but purchased the ClearVue. I am sure that others will chime in too.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Rodriquez View Post
    I've got 5 drops. One to a 15" planer, one to a 10" jointer, two to my ICS Sawstop w/ Excalibur DC, and an extra one that I use for my 18" BS, Performax 16/32, 3 HP Shaper, and my router table. I just roll them over!

My shop is a 989 SF attached garage that I still put 2 cars in. In all, it was $2,200. For me, everything is within 15 feet of the cyclone and I get crazy suction.

Oh, and go with the V3000 if it is in your price range... This will allow you to add an overarm blade guard...

Well the V2000 was quoted with the overarm blade guard in place (even though I don't have it yet). Sounds like we have about the same area (3 car garage) though just like you my main trunk line will only be about 15-20 feet with a half dozen drops. Price difference is only $100 between the two to get more power than I need and get the 3000. Seems like the way to go since I can't guarantee I will never change my configuration or double my number of tools. The db rating isn't difference either, neither is size....

I wouldn't say either is in my price range but at $100 difference I'd say they are pretty much the same price. So $2200 was duct work and everything.

I need cheaper hobbies.

But I really do need to do something. Wonder if I can justify this into the cost of the bathroom remodel..... Hmmmm how much are custom vanities and cabinets compared to what it's costing me to build them....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Haughs View Post
    I need cheaper hobbies.
    Let me/us know when you find that magic/cheap hobby...I don't think it exists....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Let me/us know when you find that magic/cheap hobby...I don't think it exists....

I've got 5 drops. One to a 15" planer, one to a 10" jointer, two to my ICS Sawstop w/ Excalibur DC, and an extra one that I use for my 18" BS, Performax 16/32, 3 HP Shaper, and my router table. I just roll them over!

My shop is a 989 SF attached garage that I still put 2 cars in. In all, it was $2,200. For me, everything is within 15 feet of the cyclone and I get crazy suction.

Oh, and go with the V3000 if it is in your price range... This will allow you to add an overarm blade guard...
    So does your shop stay dust free or do you notice dust building up on anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    Mosey over to the Bill Pentz website and spend some time reading about "fine dust", fan curves and "required" static pressure in order to really clean your shop and prevent health problems. Bill has designed what is usually acknowledged as the best cyclone and ClearVue is the company that licensed his design. I looked at them all, but purchased the ClearVue. I am sure that others will chime in too.

Paul
    I've been reading through it. Going to do some more reading on it tonight.

Well did more reading last night. I guess I know what I need to do for the long run as much as I don't want to spend the money. Seems like I could probably get by with a smaller canister/bag style 2hp portable unit but I probably wouldn't be happy in the long run.... It's hard to judge those bag/canister units as the CFM rating's all seem to be without duct work and I can't find any good tests or curves out there to justify a $500 canister unit over a $1k cyclone.....

Go for the cyclone Dave, you won't regret it, you'll just regret not spending enough when you have to do it over again.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Go for the cyclone Dave, you won't regret it, you'll just regret not spending enough when you have to do it over again.

Regards, Rod.

Yeah the accountant in me is crunching the numbers while the engineer in me is over thinking it all while the photographer in me is realizing that photography is a much cheaper and safer hobby and the gear head in me is wondering who wants to buy my engine hoist and stand that are in the corner where the cyclone will go

I have the 3hp dustgorilla from onidea.

The thing works awsome they did the duct design for me. I have 5 drops.

My mitre saw is about 30 feet from the cyclone and no dust comes out of it.

I run two machines at the same time and I have no problems with suction.

I always forget to close blast gates so even with three or four open it still pulls good.
    I know when I run my woodmaster drum sander I have to leave another gate open as it is just to much suction, it rattles the baffle inside the machine if I don't.

Worth every penny IMHO.

Paul

Well I am close to pulling the trigger on the 3hp unit. But now they threw more into the mix...

The 3hp unit is $100 more, kind of makes it a no brainer at that point, but for another $151 on top of that they have a package deal that throws in dust deputy (i really don't need this), remote control (don't realy need this in my shop but it might be nice) and the bag gripper.

The bag gripper is what I wonder about. Is it worth having?

Cheaper in the long run to buy what you KNOW that you should buy and not be looking back thinking that you made a mistake by buying what you KNOW you will not be happy with. Happy check writing.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dave, if you use a bag inside the drum, the bag gripper is great.

It keeps the bag from swirling around and becomming knotted.

That would be nice, so would the remote, depending upon your shop size.

Regards, Rod.

I know they had a deal on the remotes you get extra ones for like 10 bucks each.

that would be nice to have one on each blast gate. but not really needed.

but having one on your belt or shop apron is very handy I would definatly get that.

I just picked up an extra 55 gallon drum, with a lid.so it gives me time to get ride of the full one while using the other one. amazing how fast it fills the bin.

Paul

Dave, see if you can buy a use canister unit on Craigsist. I paid 180 and sold it, with the flex hose and my leftover fittings, for 450. I got a smok'n deal and the person that got it from me got a good deal.

If your only choice is to buy new, save for a cyclone. The V-3000 is properly sized for a home shop with one person. Plus, the sould levels aren't too bad.

O
    Dave, see if you can buy a use canister unit on Craigsist. I paid 180 and sold it, with the flex hose and my leftover fittings, for 450. I got a smok'n deal and the person that got it from me got a good deal.

If your only choice is to buy new, save for a cyclone. The V-3000 is properly sized for a home shop with one person. Plus, the sould levels aren't too bad.

thanks. That's pretty much where I am now. I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy the 3000 and sell my 1HP unit with tubing and gates and throw in the dust deputy with it to recover some lunch money. I guess the irrigation system isn't going in this year

To start, it wouldn't be too bad to forego the ductwork. That's where everything starts to get really expensive. Have them do the design and see if you can buy the parts locally.

I think you can get it with 20 feet of flex hose, a 6/5 reducer and a 5/4 reducer. This would allow you to move it from tool to tool, assuming they are within reach of the machine.

Down the road, buy the wyes and 5” blast gates from them and I honestly think you could get away with Home Depot S/L for everyting else.