Thread: Question about LV Veritas Standard Angle Block Plane

Question about LV Veritas Standard Angle Block Plane

I have recently come to purchase a Veritas Standard Angle Block Plane from a fellow Creeker and am anxiously awaiting its arrival (thanks Dan !!). One Question I have for anyone who has one, or Rob if he decides to stop by , can the optional handle and knob set that is advertised for the Low Angle Block Plane fit on the Standard Angle one? I seem to remember someone here saying that it did and they liked the center of gravity better, but I can't find that thread, and wanted to verify before I went ahead and ordered the set from Lee Valley. Thanks in advance.
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

Hi Chuck -

Just verifying the answer to this - which is "no" for the current production, but I believe some of the older models were compatible...

Sent an email as well....

Cheers -

Rob

Chuck, I have the standard angle and just added the front knob (which does fit both SA & LA). I was looking for a small smoother and the SA felt better cupped in my hand than the LA. Many others like it, but I found the added tote (when I tried it in the store on a LA) put the centre of gravity too high on a small plane like this.

Jim B
    Last edited by Jim Belair; 03-31-2010 at 9:28 AM. Reason: clarify

OT: Rob Lee & Veritas Skew Block Planes

Rob: What is the status of the Veritas Skew Block Planes that we had a chance to preview last fall? I need to add some new planes to the collection.

Thanks, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Betker View Post
    Rob: What is the status of the Veritas Skew Block Planes that we had a chance to preview last fall? I need to add some new planes to the collection.

Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob -

They're running right now - we're just building inventory before we release them... RH planes are done, and we're into the second week of running the LH planes... A2 and O1 blade runs are done too.

Should be another week or two...!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Bob -

They're running right now - we're just building inventory before we release them... RH planes are done, and we're into the second week of running the LH planes... A2 and O1 blade runs are done too.

Cheers -

Rob
    Its a good thing I already have the LN 140....I....don't....need.....another.....skew.... block....must....not.....buy....

I've been saving for one of these...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Bob -

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Hoang View Post
    Hi Tri -

I like reading that...!

Cheers -

Rob

I'll second that. Along with saving for a med shoulder, a router and a low angle jack. Ugh they make too many good planes...

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Hoang View Post

Future Veritas Planes

Rob:

Does Veritas intend to produce either a Tongue & Groove plane or any Dado planes? I've been wanting one for a while. I know that LN has one and I could always pick up a Stanley #48 on eBay but you and your folks always seem to find a way to add a unique feature or two, so I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer.

Regards, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Betker View Post
    Rob:

Does Veritas intend to produce either a Tongue & Groove plane or any Dado planes? I've been wanting one for a while. I know that LN has one and I could always pick up a Stanley #48 on eBay but you and your folks always seem to find a way to add a unique feature or two, so I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer.

Regards, Bob

Hi Bob -

We do have work going on in those areas, but it's quite early. I believe we'll be trying to cover off the tongue and groove function with our large plow, rather than a unique plane or set of planes. Same goes for the dado functions....

Cheers -

Rob

Whats this large plow you speak of....and I just bought the small plow as a Christmas gift to me....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tringo View Post
    Whats this large plow you speak of....and I just bought the small plow as a Christmas gift to me....
    I'm in a similar boat...Love to hear more about this large plow plane thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tringo View Post
    Hi Chuck -

That project just became active... as we hit a dead end on another one, and decided to "rest" it....

So - we'll be at least 12-16 months for the large plow..

Cheers -

Rob