Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: roubo is kicking my....

Mindbending

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Wilson View Post
    You could always use a nice through mortise like this joint:

from Wood Joints in Classical Japanese Architecture. The nearest piece would be the workbench top. Similar to the joint shown in the French workbench built by Roy Underhill.
    It took me a full week to wrap my head around the "puzzle tail" that Underhill shows in his video. Now you go and throw this at me.
    You can come rock me to sleep tonight.
    Seriously, Junior posted this joint in response to something I posted a while ago. I'd love to see how this joint is made and assembled.
    Sorry to hijack your thread Josh.
    PI

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    Josh, I just started my Roubo build over the weekend and I am already dreading the mortises. It's funny because I literally woke up in the middle of the night last night with the thought to use a router to hog out most of them.

Let us know what finally works for you -

Mike
    Micheal,
    I found a 3 inch bit at MCLS. I hope to use it to hog and flatten the bottom. I'm still sore from the chopping just 1 inch of the 1st motise. The router did a fine job on the first inch, The only spiral bit I had was a 1/4" and I found my Stanley 70 with Veritas 1/2" chisel did a fine job hogging and smoothing the bulk. And a lot less noise and saw dust. Just used the electric router to do the out line with a bushing and template.

Use a router

I would rough it out with a router, just short of the lines and finish with a chisel. I just finished a door project with 24 mortises 7/8" wide, 2 1/2" deep and 10" long in white oak. Here are some pictures of the jig I made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Incognito View Post
    It took me a full week to wrap my head around the "puzzle tail" that Underhill shows in his video. Now you go and throw this at me.
    Underhill calls it a rising dove-tail joint and the Japanese one I showed is a variation. Both pins will have the same rise angle making it possible to connect the impossible looking joint. Watch the linked video near 5:30 and look at his Drawings (pdf) of the single rising dovetail.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Wilson View Post
    Underhill calls it a rising dove-tail joint and the Japanese one I showed is a variation. Both pins will have the same rise angle making it possible to connect the impossible looking joint. Watch the linked video near 5:30 and look at his Drawings (pdf) of the single rising dovetail.
    Thanks Graham,
    I think I got it.
    The tenon in the back of the Japanese version is similar to the tenon on the back leg of Underhill's Rubo bench, cut at the same angle as the back of the tail. Correct?
    PI

If you are just trying to hog out material - a LONG drill bit would be the easy way out. If you are a purist - a big auger bit in a brace-and-bit is a "purist" solution. Since you've already admitted to using a router - chuck a big, long bit in your beefiest hand drill (a 1/2" drill would be ideal) and have at it. Clean up with your chisels. And don't forget - nobody but you will ever see the inside of those mortises - how neat you make them is entirely up to you.