Thread: jointer fence removal

jointer fence removal

A grizzly 12" jointer is the next tool on my list. My issue is can the fence be accurately removed and replaced repeatably without alot of time getting things back straight?

If so i can install it in my mobile shop island, if not it will get parked by the garage door. seeing that it is 84" long and 33" wide it takes up a good bit of space

Generally, the fence is mounted to its own carrier. One hand bolt, and it comes off.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    My G0490X is as Myk describes. I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis but it is doable. When I removed my carriage to grind a little more clearance for my link belt, I removed the fence from the carriage and then removed the carriage. So, I can't speak to the ease of doing this with the assembly intact but, it seems like it shouldn't be too bad; especially once you're used to doing it.

You don't way which 12" so I guessed. Figure 9 on page 16 of the manual shows this pretty well. http://cdn2.grizzly.com/manuals/g0609_m.pdf
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-23-2010 at 8:45 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I haven't seen a jointer fence that won't come off but.. I use my jointer several times a day and would not take the fence off. Getting it off takes only a 3-4 minutes. Getting it back on takes 3-4 minutes but getting everything right with one hand holding fence and the other tightening the attachment bolts hoping all stays in place for proper alignment.

It is difficult to do that! More often than not you have to re-loosen the bolts and an make an adjustment. If you waiver slightly on that try you try yet again.. With one person this is a definite PITA IMO so simply put I would not do it as I roll up my jointer to my cut area 3-5 times a day to use. That would be a lot of time wasted for me personally.

Good luck...
    Last edited by John Thompson; 03-23-2010 at 9:49 AM.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Not sure why you would want to remove it. Are you asking if you can use it for another purpose? I assume the island is 33" wide and not the jointer fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Atkins View Post
    Not sure why you would want to remove it. Are you asking if you can use it for another purpose? I assume the island is 33" wide and not the jointer fence.
    The overall width of the jointer is 33 inches so it takes up alot of shop space. i was going to hide it in my island which is 8' x 8'

You're not going to reduce the width of the jointer by taking the fence off Robert! The base area the fence mechanizm rides on is part of the jointer beds. In order to reduce the width of the jointer over-all you would have to take the entire table bed assembly off jointer. Go to the Grizzly site and click on the 12' or any for that matter.

You will see 4 pictures in boxes at the top left more or less. Click on to enlarge the pictures of the back of the jointer. You will see that the fence is attached to the fence carriage which extends out to the width of the base cabinet. That is all attached to the talbe base head so effectively you aren't going to reduce that width. It's hard enough and time consuming to take the fence off but.. I don't even want to begin to explain how difficult and time consuming it would be to remove the entire table bed assembly. Just trust me.. you don't want to go there.

Good luck...
    Last edited by John Thompson; 03-23-2010 at 5:57 PM.
    Sarge..

Perhaps it's that the fence sticks up, not out, that Robert wants to be able to control if he incorporates it into the shop island.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Perhaps it's that the fence sticks up, not out, that Robert wants to be able to control if he incorporates it into the shop island.
    You probably have to be correct Frank. Now that I look back he did say the mobile island is 8' x 8' so the height has to the reason. The fence will tilt back with the release of a knob to knock off a couple of inches in the 45* tilt mode but.. probably not enough?

This has been somewhat confusing as at this point I am really not sure what gives with the limited information given. The mention of "wide" threw me off for sure forgetting he originally posted the 8' x 8'. I surrender! ha.. ha...
    Last edited by John Thompson; 03-23-2010 at 8:18 PM.
    Sarge..

i am wanting to remove the fence when not in use so it does not obstruct my island work surface,

As I understand you, the idea is to mount the jointer into the island work surface.
    I'm not sure this is a good idea. Those knives will be exposed.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Robert,

You still haven't said which jointer model you are considering.

If height is the question, the model doesn't really make a difference. The tallest item on the Grizzly jointers is the switch. While you could unbolt the switch column and turn it downwards, eventually you would probably wear out the wire and have to replace it.

As stated previously, removing the fence on the G0609 model will not make the jointer significantly narrower. The mount on which the fence slides extends almost as far as the fence itself. If the fence is set for less than an eleven inch (or so) cut, the mount will extend beyond the fence.

-- Loren
    Baker 3667 portable sawmill. Cook's edger. Cutting my own lumber to build a kiln and a shop. Some woodworking & carpentry experience. Delta Unisaw & radial arm saw.