Thread: Fiber drums for dust collection in Northern CA?

Fiber drums for dust collection in Northern CA?

Does anyone know where to get 30 gallon fiber drums in the San Jose / San Francisco area? I'd like to use it for my DC system and they have a narrower footprint than the steel trash cans. Oneida has them, but shipping is expensive since they are "oversized".

The online sites I have found won't sell just one.

Thanks!

Roger

Rather than trying to duplicate what Oneida sells, make your own chip bin. Make a plywood box. You may have scrap plywood you can use. While you're doing it, put an acrylic window in the side near the top so you can see when it is time to empty the bin.

That's a good idea. I am looking at making a version of this Thein separator to sit on a bin under my Delta 50-760 DC:

I can modify it to sit on a square box as well as a round drum, and a square box will give me more volume than the cylinder.

Thanks,

Roger

I bought my fiber drum (47gal) from McMaster-Carr and shipping was $7.50. I was very surprised and pleased.

Roger, I get powdered chemicals shipped by my suppliers in these kinds of drums. I'm happy to send you one. The chemicals are bagged, so the drum's not contaminated. That being said, I air them out in my garage for a week or so b4 using them in the house. You'll also do well to spray them with a coat of shellac.

As long as you pay the UPS fee, I'm happy to send you one or more.

pm me.
    - shawn

Check with any company that would use chemicals that could be shipped in a drum. I got my last from a local Lowes, where they get dust down in them. Call a local janitorial supply company and see who they sell to that gets their product in such drums. Some car washes get powdered soap in drums, along with laundries. All consider them trash when empty. Large warehouses use similar products on the floor.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Check with any company that would use chemicals that could be shipped in a drum. I got my last from a local Lowes, where they get dust down in them. Call a local janitorial supply company and see who they sell to that gets their product in such drums. Some car washes get powdered soap in drums, along with laundries. All consider them trash when empty. Large warehouses use similar products on the floor.
    Since I frequent Lowes I will have to inquire. Do you know what they used the drums for or what came in them? If I just ask if they have a used fiber drum laying around they will most likely not know what I'm talking about and will take me to the trash can isle to buy a garbage can.
    Last edited by Richard Andersen; 03-26-2010 at 4:58 PM.

The dust control (dust down) that they use when cleaning up the spilled cement / concrete. You may have to do a little asking, but most likely the have them. Look in the bathroom and see they are using one for a trash can. I paid NOTHING for mine. Also, chain comes in fiber barrels, but in larger amounts than what the borgs carry. Call a janitorial supply house, if Lowes doesn't work out.

Check with bakeries, and any sort of manufacturing plant that deals with dry powders and pellets like pelletized plastics and such... Bakeries and food processing plants are usually best as they keep the contents in the drum actually in a bag...

Locally here there are a few bakeries that get things like oats and such in 30 gallon fiber drums.

Look up Baytec Containers in Bacliff Texas,, they have free shipping on certain fiber drums. I got my plastic barrel from them and they were the lowest price I could find, but I was a walk in. Their online is a bit spendy...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...