Thread: Thine's baffle & adding a Wynn filter

Thine's baffle & adding a Wynn filter

I have a Shop Fox DC (2 hp). Added a Pnil Thien's baffle to the DC. Now I want to add Wynn filter to the DC. What is the best way to attach filter to DC?

The Wynn filter comes with three turn-buckle bolts to attach the filter to the DC. If you look on the Wynn site you will find instructions.

Roger

The baffel is installed underneath so you can't get in to tighting the turn buckles from the bottom. Don't think I could take the baffel out & get it back on with the filter in place. Looking for a different way to attach the filter.

I get it. I had the same issue when I contemplated putting a baffle inside my 50-760. I decided to build a pre-filter instead.

The only plan I had was to have a long threaded rod that went up through the baffle and through the filter (it has a solid top). You would have to make sure the baffle was secure and coudn't pull up through the DC filter opening. Also, the top of the Wynn filter is relatively thin metal so you'd probably have to reinforce it with cross-members across the top to distrubute the stress to the sides (maybe a metal plate on the top would suffice).

Good luck!

Roger

Take the baffle off of its standoffs, mount the filter, reinstall the baffle onto its standoffs, reinstall the lower bag, collect dust. Simple enough...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Try a donut

Make a donut that fits inside the top, screwed in from the sides and sealed with RTV. Insert and epoxy 4 bolts in the donut (thread side up) and drill holes in filter flange and screw down with threaded hand knobs. Volia, done. Of course you have to use this type of filter. By the way these are better, more surface area, cheaper and .5 micron. They came from Wynn also. (there is a big gasket so you get plenty of crush to seal it up) I also installed a Thien baffle in each of my seperators. They work like a champ, no cake, just very fine dust and not that much gets to the filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Welch View Post
    Make a donut that fits inside the top, screwed in from the sides and sealed with RTV. Insert and epoxy 4 bolts in the donut (thread side up) and drill holes in filter flange and screw down with threaded hand knobs. Volia, done. Of course you have to use this type of filter. By the way these are better, more surface area, cheaper and .5 micron. They came from Wynn also. (there is a big gasket so you get plenty of crush to seal it up) I also installed a Thien baffle in each of my seperators. They work like a champ, no cake, just very fine dust and not that much gets to the filter.
    Good solution if he is going to use the tall skinny filters. But if he is using the 35A that won't work...

Like I mentioned above, all he has to do is undo the baffle from the standoffs leaving the standoffs in place, install the filter, then refasten the baffle to the standoffs. Now this is assuming he is using some sort of screw, bolt or some fastener that can be undone from the bottom, if he has glued dowels into counterbores on the baffle itself, then that won't cut it... At that point redoing the baffle so that it can be removed from the bottom, or removing it and making a pre-separator with the baffle would be the way to go...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

JimH and I did not use the turn-buckles with the Wynn 35A on our HF DCs.
    We drilled a 1/4" hole in the top center of the filter and
    ran a 1/4"X20 all-thread rod through the center of the filter.
    Added a fender washer and locknut to the top.
    If you got sloppy with the hole on top, add an O-ring to the rod for seal.
    Then added a piece of 1"X1" scrap oak, washer, and wing-nut to the bottom of the rod.
    The scrap was cut 1" longer then the DC opening and notched 1/2" on each end and
    a 1/4" hole was drilled in the center for the rod to go through.
    Tighten the filter down with the wing-nut.
    I cut off the extra rod and Jim didn't.
    We did this over 2 years ago for $3 in hardware each and no problems.
    Last edited by Robert Malone; 03-25-2010 at 7:27 AM.

This has worked

for me. It could be more dressed up but the function is fine.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=Thien