Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just finished my workbench

Just finished my workbench

Hello everyone I've been a memeber on this site for a few years now and I haven't done much in the way of posting but I just finished building my workbench and I thought I'd share it with you. I've learned alot from all of you and I really think this site is an invaluable resource. My WONDERFUL mother sent me "The Workbench Book" from Scott Landis a few years ago and on the cover is the shaker bench. When I first saw it I thought WOW that's a beautiful bench. So I built one. I got most of the lumber from a jobsite 3 summers ago that had 9 foot planks of various hardwoods. I took them home and dismantled them. That was a job in itself!!! It's mostly oak. The drawer fronts and panels on the doors are, I believe soft maple. The top is 8'8" x 28" and it's 3" thick. The apron is 4 1/2" thick. It's 34" high and the base is 6'9" x 23". My shop is only 9'5" x 22' but it fits just fine over in the corner. Anyway thanks for looking. Any critiques are more than welcome. I hope these pics turn out this is the first time I've done this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, I have one really huge critique! It's not in my shop...

Beautiful. I couldn't imagine nicking it up. Looks better than my dining room table. You should really enjoy using that. How many hours do you have in it?
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Thanks Joe. I'd have to guestimate maybe 300-400 hours. Took me about 10 months from start to finish but I had times where I took a break from working on it.

holy moley that is beautiful.

Very nice work, Mike, and extra points for salvaged material!! Nice looking dovetails on the top, vises, and drawers.

Mike, well done!! It is a beauty. Make sure you sign and date it, I'm sure this will be pasted down as a family treasure.

Keith

Wow that is a fantastic bench you did a excellent job

Very nice results!!! Excellent!! Now, use it...
    Jerry

Awesome!!! I love it. Looks almost to good to use. If it were me, I'd go ahead and but a big scratch on it just to get it over with. I know I cried the first time I scratched mine. It's well worn now.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Workbench

Fantastic! That's what I dream of having.

Not much to critique Mike. Good joinery on a solid design and you chose a design that fits well in your limited space shop to gain storage in lieu of dead space with that large a bench. But.. time to look beyond the beauty of new and put it to work meaning.. don't be afraid of scratching or denting it as that is function it serves. Character is only achieved after the bench leaves the showroom.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Recycle material can't beat it, nice work.

Beautiful work on the bench Mike.
    I bet it is going to give you many years of service.

That is very nice work Mike. I would like to have a bench like that someday. I am sure it will serve you well. I have a couple of metal tool boxes right now, but maybe in the next year or so, I will build one like yours. I am envious.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. I'll use it soon enough and I really don't mind it getting scratched and beat up. That's what it's for anyway right?