Thread: wood from a 900 year old cypress tree. *pics*

wood from a 900 year old cypress tree. *pics*

Some of you might remember the old Delta tools I purchased a couple of weeks ago. It was a lathe, a jointer and a sander.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13163

I had been talking to a friend who was really interested in the sander so I arranged to trade him the sander for some wood and lathe tools. So heres what I got in trade...about 300 brd ft of old growth cypress. This tree was cut around 1900 and left in the swamp because it was a hollow log. My friend got it out of the swamp in the early 1990s and had it milled, the tree's age was conservatively estimated to be around 980 years old. He had a few boards that where 24 inches wide and 16 feet long including one that was over 30 inches wide that has since become furniture. I got a few wide boards in the 10 to 12 inch range. 2 of the boards had some "pecky" portions which will look nice in the right project.

I also got 5 pieces of tupelo for turning and for carving. These things are about 6x6 to 4x4 and are about 30 inches long.

In addition I also picked up to sycamore chunks for turning. He also threw in some old not used any more lathe tools and a lathe lesson on how to turn bowls. I turned my first bowl (picture later after I put on a finish--ran out of time).

All in all we both left feeling that we made a good deal and we had a good time making my first bowl. As a bonus I got to eat lunch with another creeker Carl Eyman and met another creeker Lyn Sonnier. Over all a great weekend despite the 720 miles round trip.

The lovely model in the picture is my almost 3 year old daughter. She makes great ballast if you can get her to sit still.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Bourgeois; 11-08-2004 at 11:44 PM.

Nice trade Rob. One of these days I'm gonna try some cypress.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois
    The lovely model in the picture is my almost 3 year old daughter. She makes great ballast if you can get her to sit still.
    3 Year old -- Sit Still ?? Yeah, Right !!

Cypress is absolutely beautiful wood when finished, nice grain, nice color. Works easily and sands nice. What you gonna make with it ??
    Tony

Rob, good haul and cute shop helper. She probably likes to sit in Dad's lap more than on a pile of splintery wood...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I dont have anything in mind yet. I had a project when I thought I was getting just a everyday cypress. However I think I need to make something a bit more special since the tree was so old. I am thinking a bed but I am unsure of the style yet.

My shop helper likes handng screws and nails to me unless mom is coooking in the kitchen then thats where she will be. As far as sitting on anyone's lap...I think she stopped doing that when she learned to walk.

My compliments, Rob! Very nice. The wood ain't bad, either! (Very cute daughter, man!) I can't wait to see what you come up with for projects. Maybe something for your shop helper?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Rob -

You made an outstanding trade for that wood. It will look beautiful in whatever you decide to create. Pretty sure your daughter would like something from it - something that she will have for the rest of her life. Blanket chest?

Regards,
    Ted

Ted...
    That is an excellent idea for the blanket chest. I think matching blanket chests for my wife and daughter would win me major tool/wood buying points. I have to build my daughter a"princess" bed first which will be painted( blah) white. But next year around ths time would be an excellent time to build the two chests. Heck if I build a bed from it for my wife and I the chest would match it.

Do I have to give you credit or can I take all of it.

JOhn..I know every one keeps telling me to buy a big dog and a even bigger gun to clean when the boys start coming over. Whats the quote..."Daughters are God's way of punishing us for being men..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois
    Ted...Do I have to give you credit or can I take all of it.
    Rob -

Nah. Go for it. We are all one the same team here.

Ted

10. Guns and boys

Rob, a friend told me about a guy who would have all of his guns out on the floor pretending to be cleaning them whenever a new boy would come to date his daughter. He would casually look up and say "Now what exactly are your intentions toward my daughter?". He said she never got home late and there were never any misunderstandings. Just raise the bar and there are plenty of boys out there who will try to meet it.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Great trade! Old-growth lumber is wonderful to work with from what I hear...I'm jealous!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice...cypress make wonderful outdoor furniture and you don't even need to bother finishing it at all or do the once a year or two of BLO. Nice haul...I, too, have heard old-growth can be wonderful to work.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.