Thread: Road Trip / Indianapolis area / Woodworking things to do??

Road Trip / Indianapolis area / Woodworking things to do??

I will be traveling from mid Michigan to Franklin, Indiana (just south of the Indianapolis area), in the near future. I was just wondering if there are any good woodworking stops or locations that might be worthwhile or interesting to see in that area that anyone would recommend. Including large woodworking stores.

Thanks
    Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    There's a nice little shop on the west of Indianapolis called http://www.northwestlumberco.com/ - they have a nice lumber selection, and the people are nice. There's your typical Woodcraft and Rockler.

There is Marc Adam's woodworking school... never been there, so I don't know if its open to the public. I would think they'd be willing to show you around and what not though?

I honestly don't know beyond that. If you're here for any amount of time though... there is the Indy 500 Museum. The Children's Museum is also really cool, and then there is the Indianapolis Museum of Art.

On your way down you could also stop in Fishers/Noblesville area and visit Connor Prairie. I believe they have old settler era woodworking exhibits and the like.

I believe the Festool U.S. HQ is in Lebanon, which is just North of Indy as well.

Rockler

I have been to a Rockler store in that area. They have alot of stuff.

[QUOTE=Rob ]
    There is Marc Adam's woodworking school... never been there, so I don't know if its open to the public. I would think they'd be willing to show you around and what not though?

Rob that’s where I am going “Marc Adam's woodworking school” but I have a couple of extra days to kill locally due to a suite I am renting for the week. Its cheaper to rent by the week than the day but the class doesn’t start till Monday and I have to check in on Saturday so I have part of a day on Saturday and Sunday to kill and coming home on Saturday I can look around as well if something Is worth wile to look at.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

[QUOTE=richard poitras;1383295]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob

Rob that’s where I am going “Marc Adam's woodworking school” but I have a couple of extra days to kill locally due to a suite I am renting for the week. Thanks Richard
    Richard,

I hope you'll share your experience at Marc Adam's woodworking school. I live within driving distance but haven't visited yet. What sort of class are you going to take?

Bill

Blog Entries
    Awesome. There's a tablesaw class coming up in June that I think I'm going to go to. Been wanting to check that place out.

I'd be interested to see what others have to offer up in terms of WW places of interest. I really don't know of too many though. Maybe you could contact the staff at M.A's and see if they have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Whig

Richard,

I hope you'll share your experience at Marc Adam's woodworking school. I live within driving distance but haven't visited yet. What sort of class are you going to take?

Bill
    Bill, I will post how the glass went and my experience. In the woodworking guild I belong to there are 3 members that have their masters from Marc’s school so I am not too worried about the quality of the school due to the fact I have gotten a lot of fist hand info from them and we have had 4 teachers from the school already do weekend seminars at our guild.
    Here is the class description from the schools course catalog:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><>

With Bill Hull
    Dates: May 17-May 21

Learn the fine points of veneering and discover a whole new world of design possibilities for your projects. Beginning with buying, storing, seaming, taping and pressing, Bill will continue with book, four-way, diamond, and radial matching of veneer. After practicing those skills, the class will learn to add borders, inlays, and edge details. By the middle of the week, parquetry will be introduced, and students can add geometric shapes to their panels. By the end of the week each will have completed many examples to take home and turn into a piece of furniture. Because vacuum pressing simplifies many advanced techniques, a portion of the class will be devoted to understanding and using a vacuum system. Creating and veneering curved panels and other forms will be discussed in detail. Students will leave with the knowledge and skills to confidently use veneer in their work. Key points: purchase and storage of veneer; handling and seaming veneer; pattern matching; border and inlay work; mariner stars and other parquetry inlays; vacuum pressing; curved panels; solving design problems using veneering techniques.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><>

When I had signed up at the first of the week there were a few spots available still if anyone is interested in attending the class.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Well so far it doesn’t look like much in terms of woodworking things to do in the Indianapolis area, but I would also like to find some place to buy bird’s eye maple and some spalted woods for a reasonable price if there are any in that area including southern Michigan possibly on the way down or back.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Amish Country

A short detour to the west of I69 on US20 will take you into Amish Country. There you will find all sorts of craft store featuring Amish woodcrafts, tools, furniture, etc. The best place IMHO is Shipshewana. If you go there, you should definitely eat at Das Dutchman Essenhaus, and I recommend the "family style" side of the restaurant as opposed to the "menu" side.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

About 30 minutes north of Indy there is Hollingsworth Lumber. I'm a NOOB but I found their prices to be very reasonable with a pretty large selection of various species.

http://hollingsworthlumber.com/

Festool USA headquarters is in Lebanon at 400 N Enterprise Blvd, just west of the interstate at the Indiana 32 exit. They are always glad to greet woodworkers and give you a quick tour. If Brian is available, he can even demonstate some tools for you. You can't buy anything, though, so your wallet will be safe.

Ask MArc where to get the lumber you want. He may even be able to help.