Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to spend $400?

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)

What's the best way to spend $400?

I need a good table saw for hobby work. By "hobby," I mean 6-8 hours a week. I have about $400 to get a table saw. There is one on CL, a Ridgid R4511 still in the box that I am told was made after the recall machines, so the arbor issue should not be a problem. Is this the best $400.00 saw I can get? I am in no real hurry; I would like to take the time to make the right choice--realizing they may be a few "right" choices.

Thank you for your incredible wise imput in advance.

I got my R4511 during the $299 blowout deal... one of, if not the best tool purchases I've ever made!

Not sure if I would pay that price off of CL, there have been reports of several HD's carrying the R4511 for $399 lately...

Sure would like to know if any are available in the Detroit area. I thought they were all gone.

There have been a few people on here that have reported them showing back up in local HD's, In mine they haven't yet, but some Ridgid jointers have shown up, which haven't been there in quite a long time Might be worth waiting around to see, besides... that "diamond" in the rough might show up on CL in the mean time.

Time is on your side

If you're not in a hurry, then wait to see what used saws show up on Craigslist or other classified section. Meanwhile, keep an eye out for a special at what ever Big Box store you frequent. I suspect now that Spring is here, and Summer is approaching, you'll start to see deals on power/building tools large and small since more people will want to build or repair something with the nicer weather.

I live in the Port Huron area (50 minutes away from northern Detroit suburbs). My Home Depot doesn't even carry table saws other than benchtop and on site saws. My lowes only carries the Hitachi which I have heard nothing about. I only know when the Detroit area Borgs have something on sale/clearance when Sawmill Creek people make it known. I take it you are saying that a $400 Ridgid 4511 is not the best buy for my money??
    Last edited by Randall Clark; 04-26-2010 at 1:44 PM.

Be patient and get an older machine, not quite what you were asking, but that's my 2 cents. I paid $500 for a 1950's unisaw, and before that I had a 1960's 8" craftsman that I paid about $200 for. Maybe I lucked into deals there, but it didn't feel like it at the time

If you want a new machine, buy new rather than on CL, unless you get it for 1/2 price or so. Though its a hassle to deal with recalls and returns, you get no waranty whatsoever when buying on CL.

8. Be patient, and become obsessed scouring online auctions/listings. It'll pay off if you do your homework. I came out on top with my table saw delta rt35, 5 hp, and about $400 worth of industrial blades all for $500. Buy used and avoid the sub par machinery.

I recently picked up an old Emerson-made craftsman contractor saw froma one-man cabinet shop. Don't know what you're in the market for, but I paid $250 for mine in good running condition. I've added a ZCI and I ordered new pulleys and a link belt. I'm at a little over $300 into it now. The fence is not the greatest, so i'm contemplating a T-2. This is not a necessity. Before i yanked the pulleys and the belt, the saw cut a lot of stuff just fine. Had to put some work into it (de-rusting and whatnot), but it's turned out to be a pretty good saw for not a lot of money.

That being said, i'm still kicking myself for walking away from an R4511 the day they went on sale for $299. The only one my HD had was pretty badley chipped around the miter slots, and my wallet was less than excited about a $300 expenditure at the time. Still, I'm kicking myself over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    I live in the Port Huron area (50 minutes away from northern Detroit suburbs). My Home Depot doesn't even carry table saws other than benchtop and on site saws. My lowes only carries the Hitachi which I have heard nothing about. I only know when the Detroit area Borgs have something on sale/clearance when Sawmill Creek people make it known. I take it you are saying that a $400 Ridgid 4511 is not the best buy for my money??
    Randall - I just picked up a R4511 for $399 from the Troy store on Coolidge. Believe they have more available at that price. A little bit of a hike for you, but you may want to try calling and finding out if they still have stock.

If you feel comfortable in taking apart a saw and restoring it then used is the way to go. You can pick up old cabinet saws in your price range.

If you don't feel confortable, then go new and see what is in your price range.

The Ridgid R4511's are rumored to be back at HD in some areas. Well worth a look at $400 new...with warranty and return priveleges. I would not spend $400 for one from a reseller.

The Craftsman 21833 goes on sale in the $450 range but I think the R4511 has a few advantages. The Hitachi C10FL has been on sale at Lowes for $500....the R4511 also has some advantages over this one as well IMHO.

Otherwise, used is probably going to yield your best bang for the buck.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Harbor Freight 20% off coupon

Has anyone ever been able to get Home Depot to honor the HF 20% off coupon? This would bring the saw down to $320.00. Just musing out loud. It seems that I am getting "qualified" approval for the R4511.

The 20% HF working at HD is sketchy. I got it to work at one then got denied at 3 others. Thankfully the 10% moving coupon from lowes is always matched at HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Clark View Post
    Has anyone ever been able to get Home Depot to honor the HF 20% off coupon? This would bring the saw down to $320.00. Just musing out loud.
    It varies by store and manager, but I have heard of some who accepted it....can't hurt to ask. They'll definitely take an HD or Lowes 10% coupon....prolly Sears too. Either way, and whichever saw you end up with, set aside at least $30 for a basic decent blade like the Freud Diablo D1040 or CMT P10050 from the local homecenters.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....