Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid stupid stupid

stupid stupid stupid

Well months back i bought a delta portable 12" planer for 100 bucks, have not used it till today, I replaced the blades. made a few light passes everything looked great, 1/32 at a time. Well i pulled my beautiful piece of splated white oak and turned it on end its about 1/2 inch on the sides and in the middle. but between the sides and middle its 3/8. tried with a piece of 2" thick cypress did the same thing, This is when i lost my cool and took the damn thing out to the curb for garbage pickup. Well i came inside and got a drink and decided to go get the planer to try to find the problem, Well someone has picked it up already.

SO now i need a new planer,
    Last edited by Robert gree; 05-03-2010 at 7:59 PM.

I gotta say, that's pretty funny. I'm at work and I laughed out loud, causing people to wonder what I'm doing (oops).

Once a few years ago I took a Compaq laptop out into the street in front of my house on a Saturday in the summer. All the neighbors, and my wife, were gleefully chit-chatting out front. I took a big sledge hammer and smashed it to a million pieces. Carefully picked up all the pieces and put them in a bag, and dumped it in the trash can. While they all stood there in horror.

Sometimes... a dog's gotta do what a dog's gotta do.

I did the same during 4th of july with the old TV drug it out back by the firepit calmly when back in the house and came out with my freshly built ar15 and emptied 60 rounds in about 45 seconds.

On a side note i want to know what the problem with the planer was.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert gree View Post
    Well months back i bought a delta portable 12" planer for 100 bucks, have not used it till today, I replaced the blades. made a few light passes everything looked great, 1/32 at a time. Well i pulled my beautiful piece of splated white oak and turned it on end its about 1/2 inch on the sides and in the middle. but between the sides and middle its 3/8. tried with a piece of 2" thick cypress did the same thing, This is when i lost my cool and took the damn thing out to the curb for garbage pickup. Well i came inside and got a drink and decided to go get it to try to find the problem, Well someone has picked it up already.

SO now i need a new planer,
    So I guess you changed drinks?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Well im a happy camper kind of. My neighbor picked it up when i took it up, He figured i was just mad at the moment i have it back now. And it looks like 2 of the screw heads broke off and the knives flexed and took a huge bite out of the wood, Wedging wood under the knives causing a bow.

So now i need knife hold downs, knives and the screws to hold the holders.

Now that's a fine neighbor! Glad it worked out well.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    Now that's a fine neighbor!
    Sure, but an even BETTER neighbor would have fixed it, and THEN returned it

I did the same during 4th of july with the old TV drug it out back by the firepit calmly when back in the house and came out with my freshly built ar15 and emptied 60 rounds in about 45 seconds.
    Hello Robert-

I'm hoping you don't live in a condo environment... some neighbors get really testy about rifle shots in the backyard...

-TH

I think you're confusing neighbors with saints.

My neighbor wouldda SOLD it back to me, well I would have to pay him in beer.

None of my neighbors would have known what it was.

I once watched one of my mechanics (I owned a auto shop in a former life) positively hurl a brand new snap on ratchet out the shop door in a fit of anger. It sailed across the street and into the jr. high football field, narrowly missing a jogger! The jogger stopped, picked up the ratchet, hollered "thanks!" and took off again. I almost wet my pants laughing and the look on his face was priceless. A true story, I promise you.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fischer View Post
    I once watched one of my mechanics (I owned a auto shop in a former life) positively hurl a brand new snap on ratchet out the shop door in a fit of anger. It sailed across the street and into the jr. high football field, narrowly missing a jogger! The jogger stopped, picked up the ratchet, hollered "thanks!" and took off again. I almost wet my pants laughing and the look on his face was priceless. A true story, I promise you.

Jeff
    HA! that there is funny!

My shop is in the boondocks, I've hurled manythings out the door. Tools, phones, iPods, cabinets. Thankfully nobody's around to pick anything up but me.

I did one time though a POS Paslode 18ga. brad nailer out the door. Walked out, picked it back up, grabbed a hammer and smashed it to sweep-able bits on the concrete. It had been mis-behaving all its life, I was too stupid to replace it, and it had destroyed the absolute last piece of walnut I had on hand for a trim piece on some furniture I had built. Business was sucking at the time, I was stressed out. Things are better now, and calmer.

I threw a contractors TS out the shop door last year. Then I heard from outside. I don't know about you but I'm not going in there. It was my neighbor and a minister. Oops
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

On a side note i want to know what the problem with the planer was.
    So if I saw this from across the street, I can assure you that your planer could sit on the curb for as long as you like. I promise you that I will not go and pick it up. lol