Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My SCMS burned up!

My SCMS burned up!

I was working the other day in my shop and my Hitachi saw seized up and smoke came out of the motor housing.

Why can't this syuff happen when you are farting around doing something for yourself? Instead it happens when I am in the middle of a kitchen job.

I am waiting to hear if it it repairable. A number of years ago I had the 8" version and it died the same way. It wasn't fixable so I don't hold up much hope for this one. It isn't that old, maybe seven years old.

I am thinking of maybe trying another brand if I have to buy a new one.

What kind of life do you guys get out of your scms.

I am finding that I am not terribly impressed with Hitachi tools. My brother and I both owned an m12v plunge router and they only lasted a little over a year each. Their 18V cordless drill batteries died rapidly too. They have been dead for years and my original Ridgid batteries are still going strong and it was purchased a year prior to the Hitachi.

My SCMS, also Ridgid is 7 years old now. It was used for framing day in and out for the first 5 years and is still used everyday in the woodshop, though not as heavily as when I was framing.

My HF $79.00 SCMS I bought five years ago to do one job is still going strong. I'm on my third Freud blade. I bought it because I forgot my other SCMS that day and HF was much closer to the job than my shop.

AZCRAIG

I bought a DeWalt 12" SCMS 3 years ago when I was building my new garage and have used it since then quite a bit for various things. Still working like it was new.

I've had my Hitachi SCMS for about 10 years. Works as well today as the day I bought it.

I used to kill a circular saw in two years regardless of brand....untill I bought a Milwaukee. It has lasted like 16 years.

I am seriously considering a Milwaukee SCMS. They are hard to find though and I definely want to get my hands on it before I buy.

The Bosch looks nice too but it is huge! If it were going to stay in the shop all the time I would consider that one. However it looks like a bear to move.

If I go cheaper I like the look of the Makita. It has like four rails that guide the slider.

I bought DeWalt's 12" SCMS when it first came out (5-6+ years ago?). Still running strong.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

It sounds like you might just need new brushes.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carpenter View Post
    I was working the other day in my shop and my Hitachi saw seized up and smoke came out of the motor housing.

Why can't this syuff happen when you are farting around doing something for yourself? Instead it happens when I am in the middle of a kitchen job.

I am waiting to hear if it it repairable. A number of years ago I had the 8" version and it died the same way. It wasn't fixable so I don't hold up much hope for this one. It isn't that old, maybe seven years old.

I am thinking of maybe trying another brand if I have to buy a new one.

What kind of life do you guys get out of your scms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    It sounds like you might just need new brushes.

Jason
    Ditto Jason.. at least check them as brushes don't last forever in any machine except an old Craftsman 1/2" drill I purchased in 1973. Hitachi SCMS in my shop which get used almost every day 10 + years with absolutely no issues except brushes...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I hope that is it. I dropped it off at a repair shop a few days ago. It seemed like the blade was binding up like the gears were siezing up.

That would be good if I didn't have to replace it.

I have some serious doubts if smoke was seen coming from the motor that replacing brushes will fix it. Typically smoke is an indication that the motor windings have burned up. Bad brushes might contribute to the windings burning up but I doubt that it will fix the problem.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham View Post
    I bought DeWalt's 12" SCMS when it first came out (5-6+ years ago?). Still running strong.

+1, same as my experience. However, a friend bought one about 2 years ago and hates it. They cost reduced it so that it is not as accurate.
    Wood'N'Scout

It was exactly the same thing that happened to my 8" version and that couldn't be salvaged. I have a feeling that this will not be different.

I'll have to wait and see.

Under size drop/extension cords can be harmfull to electrical motors and cause premature death. Hopefully yours can be repaired.

I got my saw back from the shop. They replaced brushes and the bearings. Hooray it only cost me 52 bucks.

I was sure it was a goner.