Thread: Garage Shop Ideas

Garage Shop Ideas

Hi All,

I'm getting back into the hobby now that my kids are out of the house and I can use 2/3rds of my garage. Below are pictures of the garage with my wife's car where it spends the night.

My plans are to mostly build hardwood furniture and some built-in cabinet-type work. Right now I have the Rikon 18" bandsaw, a Milwaukee SCMS, a Ridgid contractor saw, and a Hammer J/P on it's way for Mid-May delivery. No DC yet. Basically I have a pretty clean slate and would like ideas on the best way to put my workshop together. I'm in no hurry and want to do this right. My next purchase will most likely be a cabinet saw as well as putting together a router table.

As you can see, I'm worried about not having any "wall space" and am wondering if I should move the workbench from the wall into the middle of the garage so I have room to place the tools against the wall.

My primary experience other than small home projects over the years are that I took Woods 1,2,3, and 4 in High School, and built a table, roll-top desk, and grandfather clock using walnut. However, that was about 25 years ago.

Anyway, I'm at a loss where to begin, any and all comments / ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

I personally prefer my workbench located centrally in the shop mainly because I find it convenient to have access to all sides of the bench, it makes for more room to stretch out what your doing. This would also save up valuable wall space as you noted. Looks like a nice start, can't wait for it to be finished.

I have a similar set of conditions. My wife is willing to park outside during projects, so I have all of my tools except Unisaw and Drill press on mobile bases.

Here is what it looks like deployed for action. I don't have that specific workbench yet, but it is near the top of the list of next projects.

Electrical is important if you don't already have it. Make sure you have enough outlets and enough circuits of the proper voltage/amperage to run anything you think you will reasonably have going.

A couple of suggestions to consider.....

I didn't plan my design around a workbench. Don't get me wrong, I use the various benches all the time, but since I am not using hand tools much I didn't see the need to invest the space in a dedicated workbench. I have build 2 rolling shopcarts (modified NYW design) that most of my projects are built on. I also use the outfeed table of the saw as my primary workbench. This outfeed table/workbench is also a storage cabinet and downdraft table with the DC hooked to it.

That brings me to the subject of the DC piping. In my opinion you have to consider the dust collection hoses and pipes when laying out your shop. You probably need to worry about the DC runs more than electrical. For example you probably want to cluster your machines around a common core of air, DC blastgates, and electrical.

The picture gives you some idea of the approach I took. When I need to park in the garage/shop, I move the rolling tables, project and all, over. This allows my truck to come inside with the minimum effort required.
    Wood'N'Scout

All, Thanks for the great feedback and ideas. I've got the electrical under control as I'm putting in a sub panel directly in the garage. I'll be cutting the existing drywall to add outlets, etc.

I guess I'm most concerned about how to best position the equipment to support a good DC system. I will be making everything mobile via casters but I don't expect to move it that much. My truck always stays outside as it really doesn't fit in the garage anyway.

I'd like to keep a "clean" look by keeping the DC piping along one wall if possible and that again pushes me to the one large wall I have available.

I'll work on a new drawing and put it up later today.

Tom

It looks good. Have you thought about where you would place a jointer? If you decided to use one, it will put constraints on where you place other tools. Maybe right next to the planer, so you can route dust collection to both of them from the same run.

Jeff, I'll soon have a Hammer J/P, but couldn't find a good representation or J/P for Sketchup. I was just using the planer to represent the J/P until I find something better to depict it or take the time to draw an A3-31.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mackay View Post
    It looks good. Have you thought about where you would place a jointer? If you decided to use one, it will put constraints on where you place other tools. Maybe right next to the planer, so you can route dust collection to both of them from the same run.
    He said he has a Hammer Jointer/Planer Combo machine, so Im assuming there going to be pretty close to each other

I too am setting up shop in my third stall of my garage, although I think mine might be a little deeper then yours at 27'. One thing I did notice is lots of "bench" space. Im wondering if that might be too much? Considering the space you have to work with. What about upper cabinets only on one wall, with mobile based tools store under neath against the wall? Then they can be roller out when needed. Plus allow for future DC plumbing to be run above wall cabinets for the clean look. Just a thought, as this is most likely what I'll be doing.

As a side note, I dont think a Hammer and 18" Rikon BS a "clean Slate"

Thanks John. Yeah, the garage is only 22' deep there. I've done a redesign by clustering the equipment along the far wall. This will allow me to keep the DC components together. Also, that 6" Jet represents the hammer.

Long-term the Rigid saw will be replaced with a SawStop PCS and I think I'll look at putting my router table on the saw to again concentrate the equipment that requires DC. How's this look?

Quote Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
    What about upper cabinets only on one wall, with mobile based tools store under neath against the wall? Then they can be roller out when needed. Plus allow for future DC plumbing to be run above wall cabinets for the clean look.
    Yes, I definitely want upper cabinets somewhere, just trying to find the best place as part of this process.

When thinking of setting up my shop, which is yet to be set up I never wanted tools stored away against the wall. I wanted them available at all times. Then I began to see how much room would be dedicated to my want of this. After looking through numerous magazines, I started to like the idea of having them "stored away". But then to be able to pull them out at a moments notice.

This is what my idea will be. Most of the large tools will be, like I said, against the wall. Tools like planers and jointers are usually only used at one or two sessions during a project....usually. Then the area above these tools can be dedicated to cabinents as this isnt where the tools will be worked. So no "overhead clearance" is need to work at. Base cabinets or workbenches can be built around these tools so that space isnt wasted. Tools like bandsaws and drill press's need both height and working space, so those cant have cabinets and workbenches surrounding them.

I also have a Ridgid Saw, so far Im set on having mine right next to the wall, the right side of the saw that is. This is how Im using it in my basement and so far its worked out pretty well. I still have full rip capacity, without it in the middle of the shop.

I think Im going to try and have my assembly area in the center of the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Woloshyn View Post
    I personally prefer my workbench located centrally in the shop mainly because I find it convenient to have access to all sides of the bench, it makes for more room to stretch out what your doing. This would also save up valuable wall space as you noted. Looks like a nice start, can't wait for it to be finished.
    +1 for what Greg said. Workbench with access to all sides for me for all the reasons stated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]