Thread: Planer Pals on a 15" Grizzly planer

Planer Pals on a 15" Grizzly planer

I bought a set of Planer Pals from Woodcraft recently to aid in the setting of the knives on my Grizzly G0453. I have to say that they would probably work quite well on another make of planer but on my Grizzly, they aren't the best. If they were a little smaller, perhaps they would work better. The Chip Breaker on the Grizzly is in a position that it takes some time, just to get the planer pals between the breaker and the planer housing. The result is no room to maneuver the planer pals to get them in proper position once on the cutter head. Once I thought they were in place, I adjusted the planer pals to where my blades were and then re-tightened the hex nuts. I put in the sharp blades and set them. When I was all done, I checked them with the knife setting gauge that came with the planer. The knives were higher on one end than the other. The problem seemed to be caused by not being able to move the planer pals once they are in place to ensure good contact with the cutter head. Good idea, good tool, just not the right product for a G0453.

I have the same problem with them on the Delta 15" planner, I went to a dial indicator.

Bob

I have never found planer pals to be useful.