Thread: Quick Sheetrock Question

Quick Sheetrock Question

My question is when estimating sheetrock, how much waste you want to add to the total square footage figure like 15%?

Depends on your skill level. I add 10 percent, but I have been at construction for forty years. You should be safe with 15 to 20

Really depends on the project and how much scabbing in of scraps you want to do. Also, depends on the length of the drywall and how you are hanging it (horizontally or vertically). I find it best to just go to the space I am going to buy for and actually count it out (or use blueprints). If in doubt, I always pick up an extra sheet or two. Sheetrock is still pretty cheep; time wasted during production is expensive.

I know I didn't answer your question exactly, but if you post a sketch, drawing, or some photos, I can probably give you a more helpful answer.

Ramsey Ramco Guest
    I add 5% in small rooms where layout is correct all around, and about 10% otherwise, a 15% waste will save you time in the long run and any trips to the supplier and hey most people will accept returns without any restocking fees.

When I measure sr, I count the sheets needed to do a room, rather than go by square foot. That way you can figure whether you need 10's or 12s', etc by what size actually fits in the room, or breaks on what joist or stud. Cuts waste considerably.

....and how much scabbing in of scraps you want to do.
    You don't want to do this! The extra time and expense required to mud all of it will far outweigh any advantage (perceived savings) of trying to use small pieces.

Amen on what Keith W wrote. Scabbing in with scraps wastes a lot of time installing and mudding, plus if you aren't very skilled at mudding it can look horrible.
    David B

It's great if you can use 12 footers, but in my experience, when working alone, 8 footers are about all I can safely handle. If you're doing the ceiling, rent a hoist. Really makes it easier for single handed work, and well worth the money. I agree with avoiding small pieces.