Thread: Finsihed project

Finished project

Finally finished a project in between tool collecting

I made a pipette cabinet for my laboratory (I'm a biochemistry PhD student). I originally set out to just make a white board frame, but it quickly morphed into a cabinet with whiteboard panels. Yeah they aren't the prettiest in the world, but this piece was all about function. I also make a custom rack for my pipettors on the inside. Basically these are the "tools" of a biochemists and so this project is akin to a shop tool cabinet.

The details...

The box frame is hand cut dovetailed santos mahogany. The doors are Jaoba, and the panel is a double sided whiteboard. The backing is a Jatoba veneered panel. Finsih is a tung oil urethane mixture from General finished with 5 coats of homebrew Polyurretane/BLO for extra protection (I expect that being in a lab it will see some abuse)

This project was a "learning project" such that I could learn how to hand cut dovetails, and cut and apply veneer. Overall I am pretty happy with the results, the only problem is that other people in my lab are jealous and want one for their lab bench as well. The hardest part of the whole project was putting the white board panels in with a sealant so that whilte board goo wouldn't get underneath. I used a PVC sealant to seal both sides of the white board and in testing I found that this was the best solution to keep it clean around the edges. Yeah that isn't fine woodworking, but it was the best solution I could come up with to a unique problem, since not too many people put whiteboards in frame and panel doors.

That mess in the background is the typical way my bench looks, chaotic, since the life of a researcher is chaotic as well. At least I have a little eye candy now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 11-10-2004 at 8:25 AM.

2. Brad,

WOW--the project looks great. Frankly I find it amazing that you found time to work on that during grad school. I remember a lab that looked much the same (without the fancy cabinet), and I spent so much time there that I had no trouble getting around in complete darkness. I can appreciate how woodworking would help alleviate some of the pressures that come with graduate study. Wish I could have done more of it then!!

Darrick Robbins

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Very nice addition to the Lab Doc. The operation/experiment was a big success
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Awww, somebody has to ask. . .

First, let me say that that's a gorgeous cabinet-the wood is beautiful. But I don't get it-you do hand cut dovetails, use that fancy stock, learn how to veneer, spend all that time on finishing and turn out a nice piece of work, but you use whiteboard for panels? To quote somebody, "whazzup with that?" I realize that grad school must not leave time for much. I remember my law school days when I was also working, and I barely had time to fart let alone consider a time intensive hobby like woodworking. Surely there must have been another alternative, no?

Sorry if I'm coming across like a major grinch. Must be the fasting I have to do for some bloodwork tomorrow-has me grouchy.

Again-nice work.

Now I get it-I took a closer look and noticed what appears to be writing on the panels. Dry mark stuff right? You used the panels so you could brainstorm on the cabinet and store your gadgets. Nice handles. Don't go with the whiteboard though.
    Last edited by Tony Sade; 11-09-2004 at 9:41 PM. Reason: Lightbulb came on.
    Tony

Beautiful cabinet, Brad. Great looking and very functional, too. I also like the handles!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The origninal idea was to make just a whiteboard frame and mount it. We do a lot of "chalk talking" where we sketch out to do lists, ideas, reactions, hypotheses and the so forth. The problem is that space is at a premium in our lab and so the whiteboard would have taken up too much room, so I eventually decided to just make a cabinet for some extra storage with the whiteboards on the door. I got the idea from a classroom where they had done a much larger version of this concept to give extra room for storage. The whiteboard panes and doors themselves were designed to be removeable so if in the future I decide to put it in a less functional environemt, it is easy to change out the whiteboards for a true panel or to put on a new door. Since the wood wasnt really all that expensive (I am pretty sure there is more $$ in the hinge and knobs than wood, all of the Jatoba is scrap from a couple of other projects), I wasn't all that woried and I really needed an excuse to practice making dovetails in something other than poplar. Kind of an amalgamation of needs/wants and desires.

The hardware is from Lowes. Our store stocks all sorts of oddball trendy stuff, so I figured I'd give it some personality.

Without woodworking, I'd go crazy, too many 14 hour days and too many pots of cofee. Woodworking, give me a chance to relax, especially handtool work.

I LIKE it! It's performing a great function in real fine form and I'm one of those people who goes for "funky" hardware, handles and all! Nice touch, I think! Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Brad

Brad, Excellent work typical of your attention to detail and craftmanship in the midst of higher learning. I understand how WW furnishes a relaxing alternative to the discip;ine of studying, labs, etc. You did well and it'll serve an important function for you in pursuit of a bigger goal. Great job! Thanks for showing...Jerry
    PS I started assembling the DC today.
    Jerry

Thumbs up

Excellent work Brad!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....