Thread: Stanley 244 miter saw

Stanley 244 miter saw

I bought this at a flea market this morning. It seems complete except for one work holding device, and nearly no rust. The saw is straight and somewhat sharp. After taking it all apart and oiling it up it works great. These things are from a different era. It is amazing how many accurately machined parts are in this design. I counted nearly 100 parts including screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just finished fixing a Stanley 358, and can attest that there are a lot of parts. Had to fabricate a few because they were missing. I suspect you need a cross brace to go between the two posts. There are three screws on the top of each post, and a recess for a flat piece of metal that bridges the two posts, which is secured by the middle screw(s).

I also sharpened my saw, and found that it had a high degree of rake. Grimshaw on Saws or one of the other old references seems to confirm that this was a convention for mitre box saws, but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this in any of their saws.

Let me know if you need the cross brace btw, I think I may have a spare, and it would probably fit yours.

Rake equals speed at the expense of hard starting, and within the limits of a clean cut there is no reason not to test the limits of rake in a well-adjusted miter box.

You can have fun making a new table out of fancy wood.

And look for one of these picture-frame vises. They still can be found inexpensively, perhaps because few realize they do panel frames and other joinery as well as they do picture frames..

Both miters can be sawn at once and quickly fastened in place.

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...96&action=view
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff