Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New Build - EVH Wolfgang

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This gets an official "Oh MY!!!!" with that burst in the finish! Wowsa! This is going to end up being a real head-turning axe...and then you'll blow them away with what I anticipate will be an outstanding sound, too. LOL
    Hi Jim. Good to hear from you again. I'm very pleased with how this one is going. The maple top and basswood back is the same combo as the production models, so it should sound pretty good. We'll see.

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

Back on this build this weekend. I have a whole day to myself...my wife and stepson are at the water park for a fundraiser.

After letting it cure for a few days, this is the result of the color coats.

I level snaded all surfaces and I'll add the trans brown to the back today with the goal of getting clear coats on it tomorrow...along with 3 other builds.

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

I sprayed some tinted sealer on the back and sides ti give myself a leveling stage before color.

All snaded back and level. I sanded thru in a few spots but I'm not concerened...the color will be sprayed in the same sealer.

Since I'll be spraying a dark brown, I masked off all the openings in the front to keep over-spray off the top.

I finished spraying the color coats last night. It's a bit darker brown than I wanted but it works nicely with the burst. The pigments darken a bit when they dry...sort of like painting a wall and the color on the wall doesn't look like the paint sample until it dries.

This one's ready for clear coats.

Peace,
    Mark

This thing is just plain yummy, Mark! What a nice look that axe is going to have.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just a quick update. I have all the clear coats sprayed. I've been very happy with the way the EmTech water based lavquer lays down...just beautifil. It sprays like nitro, flows out smoothly, and cures very quickly. Of course, I've added a bit of help in the curing dept.

I hang the guitars in my studio closet and I've placed a small space heater ( no extention cords involved...keeping it safe) in there with them...it keeps the room at about 100 degrees F. That coupled with the dry air indoors from the A/C really help the spraying schedule.

I spray 2 double coats, place them in the hot room for an hour, spray 2 more and so on. It's been great. And when they come out of the room for another few coats, they're quite warm and the coats flash very quickly...allowing the double coat process to go very quick without fear of sags or runs.

This will also allow me to speed up the cure time...normally fully cured in 100 hours. I used this hot room on my $210 Challenge entry and buffed it out the next day...only 20 hours after the final coats were sprayed.

Now I just need to wait a few days for "baking" and they will all be ready for buffing.

Well, I'm very close to having this one finished. I did a dry fit today and everything is looking great. I need to take care of a few high frets and wire it up. I should be able to do that tomorrow. Fingers crossed...I'm eager to hear this one.

Peace,
    Mark

Great looking guitar!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Dave MacArthur View Post
    Great looking guitar!
    Thanks Dave!

Peace,
    Mark

That is such a gorgeous looking guitar, Mark.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...