Thread: recovering drums in veneer

recovering drums in veneer

Hi, I'm a newbie on this site, was recommended by Joewoodworker, Veneer Supplies. Looking for info on what type of glue to use recovering drums in a paper backed veneer. Thanks.

Hi Jim. Welcome. I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll watch and see who does. I have used drums with amazing veneer (like DW's) and have had probably the worse refinishing job ever. Vinyl white pearl with big gaps in the rubber cement, and big bolds to hold down the edges.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I always use contact cement with paper back veneer. If done carefully, it will work just fine. Use a straight edge and razor knife to cut the overlap. If it dont work just fine, pour some lacquer thinner under the veneer and it will peel right off and try again.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Paper backed veneer gets you into contact cement territory. But I prefer to use phenolic backed veneer because it has less of a tendency to bubble. On something like a drum, you needn't worry about the "black line syndrome" you typically get with phenolic backings.
    David DeCristoforo

If using contact cement, apply at least two coats, and let dry thoroughly before sticking. If it's tacky, wait a bit longer. Spraying is better than rolling it on. Once applied, apply firm pressure with the edge of a wooden block, with about a 1/8" radius on the block.

If you want a glass smooth gloss finish, contact cement and paper back are probably not your best option. You'd want to use a vacuum bag, but it get's complicated. You'll either need to build a support for inside, or use an air bladder. Getting a good seam would be harder as well.
    Last edited by Gerry Grzadzinski; 03-28-2010 at 2:29 PM.