Thread: Anyone have any experiance with a "Timesavers Speedsander"?

Anyone have any experiance with a "Timesavers Speedsander"?

The cost of a SCMI wide belt has eclipsed what my business can realistically support so I have been looking at less expensive alternatives. This one is less than ten G's.

I just got rid of a drum sander that was a pain in the tush, so no drum sander suggestions please.

My hands are going to hell fast, and RA sanders are hard on them, so I am looking to preserve them as best I can. They are kind of a necessity. A sander "NOW" that does a good job, even if not all that fast would seem to be a priority. My SCMI planer gets very close at 16' per minute for prepping stock, but then I have to sand assembled panels and doors.

I hate compromise, but I have to deal with the reality of the economy as it is. I looked at used but most are questionable, so I would prefer new.

Any feedback on this machine would be appreciated.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.

If you are talking about the 36" Timesaver,I have had experience with the one in the millwork shop at Colonial Williamsburg.

I was the toolmaker,and was called upon to repair their sander a few times. The problem was in the outfeed roller of its conveyor belt. The shaft in the end of the roller opposite of the feed motor kept coming loose.

The first time I saw it,this shaft was in a rusty,mis shapen hole in the roller. I could see no means by which it had been actually attached to the roller.

I took a drill about 1 1/2" dia.,and drilled out the hole clean,getting rid of all the rust and uneven hole. This was done with a steady rest in a lathe. Then I made a new shaft that fit into the hole,with a flange that I screwed to the end of the roller with socket head cap screws. The new shaft continued on out to go through the ball bearing roller support.

This lasted some years,when something went wrong. I can't recall what,but I had to make a new shaft. This time I threaded the hole in the roller,and made a threaded shaft to screw into it. By now,I had gotten an 80" lathe. The first time,my lathe was only just long enough to drill the hole with a very short drill bit that I happened to have. I also made a flange on it,but did not screw it to the roller,because the roller turned in the direction that should have tightened the screw threads.

Some time later,the shaft started unscrewing from the roller. I still don't know how! I went back,and screwed the flange to the end of the roller. I also securely loctited the threaded shaft into the roller.

It has been running for 2 years now,and seems o.k..

This was the only problem we ever had with the Timesaver.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-01-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Thumbs up

I have one, I bought it used a little over a year ago. It is a 2005 model. I believe it used to be called an econo-sander.

To me, it is a MAJOR upgrade from a Performax 22-44 Pro that I used to have. Mine is the 10 HP 3 phase model.

This is my first wide belt, so I can't really say what doesn't work right or do right compared to others.

I will throw out my comments/observations
    It has a single platen that is easily removable.

The digital height readout is ok. It is battery operated and has to be recalibrated regularly. Since I am a hobbiest, if I skip going to the shop for a few days and use it, I calibrate it.

My unit does not have an ammeter which I consider a negative, but I believe they now include one in the new models. I expect I will add one at some point.

The hold down rollers seem to be a little undersized to me as small boards fed through the middle sometimes slip.

It has all the necessary safety switches/brakes where I think they should be so no complaints/issues there.

It is pretty easy to change belts, but when you do, recalibrate the read out.

The manual on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give a 4. To me, it is more of a safety document than a manual..... To be fair, I have a Minimax Bandsaw and I would give it's manual a 3, a Felder tablesaw a 2, and a Grizzly 15" planer that used to have that I would give an 8.

I have not had to call the manufacturer for anything so no insight there.

I have bought new platen material from somewhere (not Timesavers) as I screwed up and sanded much too aggressively with the platen in the machine and well, you know....

It is on wheels, but it is HEAVY so it is not something you want to roll around a lot.

It uses an electric eye for tracking. Air consumption isn't bad. It only kicks in my 60 gallon compressor occassionally.

It sucks a LOT of current on start up. I use a phase converter and need 50 amps of power on the input single phase side to get it going.

I have sanded plywood with it without going through the surface veeneer.

Dust collection is good, not great.

Variable speed on the conveyor belt.

My only regret in buying it is space. It is a compact unit for it's capacity, but my shop is close to full so it's size is something to consider at least for me. For the price I got it, and for what it does, I would buy it again. Alternatively, I considered buying one of the 15/16 open ended sanders. I have a couple of friends with those that love them, but I got this unit for about what they paid new for one of those. To me, it blows a Peformax away. There is no comparison.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns as I would be happy to answer them.

Good luck.

Larry,

I've got the Speed Sander. You get what you pay for. I bought mine used for $5k. It does a pretty decent job, but its full of second rate parts, (motor brands I've never heard of, nor capable of spelling) and all around quality isn't up to par with an actual Timesavers sander. But, it was cheap, damn near new, and its made me a ton of money so I really can't complain. I'm hoping it lasts me long enough that I can make the jump to a 43" duel head, as of right now I'm about $40k short.

I've had to replace a few bearings. They're a common Ag style, you can get them at Napa for about $20/per.

Had to replace the top belt idler. Some how it bent. No F-ing clue as to why. It just started having tracking issues and chewing up $60 belts. Even the parts guy at Timesavers asked how I accomplished that.

It is loud and rattly. I found a mystery screw on Wednesday laying just inside the door. No idea where it came from.

It does not like to be worked really hard. It'll shut down if you are really working it. A friend of mine has the same exact sander, his does the same thing, and has gone through one Ching-Pow-Ting motor. I'd like to get a load meter like the newer models just to see what kind of loads its actually pulling.

Mine is 1ph, and I'm pretty sure 7-1/2hp, it doesn't seem to draw much juice. I've got it on way to small of a breaker, and it hasn't tripped once. I didn't feel like swapping breakers when I took out the old Woodbasher 36" drum sander, and thought I'd see if it worked, and it has. Or the breaker is faulty, I think I'll cycle it tomorrow just to check.

I live about an hour from the Timesavers factory, so parts are right there. That did have an effect on what I bought when I was looking for a widebelt.

The platen pulls in/out pretty easily. I only use it for the fine grits, and the final pass, and I haven't replaced it yet. It helps to lube the bar with something so it goes in/out easily. Mine can get stubborn.
    Last edited by Karl Brogger; 01-01-2010 at 5:40 PM.

The Speed sander has been out a number of years so that says something in itself. Any reason you aren't considering a stroke sander?? That would be my choice for a inexpensive sander. I've been using all kinds of sanders for the last 35 years in large and small shops and it's still a great option.

I have the normal heavy 36" timesavers green machine( US made in Minn) . bought it second hand and it runs great. I would never have a shop without one if I could help it. for processing figured woods they are the best. maybe you should look for one of these older american ones

best wishes

lou

Thanks for the replys gentlemen.

I guess I did not know that this unit was made in China, although I should have figured that out. My concience will not allow me to buy a machine that is made under those conditions at those rates of pay so I guess I will keep looking for a decent used machine. I make a living wage, and I personally do not want to contribute further to the problem we are experiancing here.

Maybe I will drive up to Timesavers when I get the time and see what my options are. I have seen a few SCMI's go used at reasonable prices, as well as Timesavers. I wonder if they have a lease program? Maybe I could pick up a factory serviced off lease American made unit? I'll have to call when I get home next month.

Thanks again...

Larry

Its made in Taiwan, so sorta China.

Keep a Tab on this site: http://www.k-bid.com/Current.htm Its typically MN only stuff, but there are similar operations like it around the country, and while it has slowed significantly, there has been many cabinetshops that have gone belly up.

If I had 3ph where I'm at currently, I would have bought a used US built 37" model for probably about the same money.

Local machinery dealers? Locally we've got:
    -GC Peterson: http://www.gcpeterson.com/gcpeterson...711&PubID=4417

-Advantage http://www.advantagemachineryonline.com/

There's another called Allied. I've never dealt with them. And another in Iowa that I can't think of the name of. Blackhawk? Google is your friend, shop around there's is alot of cheap equipment to be had, and (hopefully) I don't think it will be that way for much longer.

If you do come through to go to Timesavers Inc, let me know.

Wow, it is Black Hawk. http://www.blackhawkmachinerysales.com/

I was told that name at least a couple years ago.

10. Larry,

Although you mentioned you'd prefer to buy new, I would give a serious look into buying used. With the economy as it is, there are all kinds of used sanders out there for very reasonable prices.
    You never mentioned if you're looking for a single head or double head for around $10,000, but I can assure you, there are a lot of good 37" single head sanders for a lot less than that - I sell them often.

Check the online auction sites like K-bid, IRS auctions, Hoff-Hilk, and Auction Masters. Also ask your local dealers as they are sometimes trying to sell someone an upgrade but the customer won't upgrade until his existing sander is sold. I also check Ex-factory, Mls Machinery, and Machinery King for price comparisons.

The two most expensive and critical things to look for when buying a used sander are the condition of the conveyor belt and the sanding drum - each will cost around $1,000 to replace (parts and labor).

As for brands, I would start with SCMI, Biesse, and Timesavers. Like auto manufacturers, high-end machinery manufacturers sometimes produce lower-end products to stay competitive. The Speedsander is one of these such machines and unless you don't mind working on it regularly, I wouldn't recommend it.

As for what I look for in a sander, I look to see how hard it is to service.
    For example, if it's sanding unevenly, is there an adjustment that can be made to remedy that? Some machines require you to adjust the jacks under the conveyor belt - not a wise thing to have to do since you run the risk of twisting the conveyor bed.
    Eventually you WILL have to replace some bearings, the conveyor belt, and possibly the drum if you accidently try to remove too much and burn through the abrasive belt.
    A well-built machine is built such that a major component like the sanding drum or conveyor belt can be replaced in a couple hours time. Strangely enough, a lot of the inexpensive machines require sometimes eight or more hours to replace these parts!

Good luck in your search.
    I hope this helps some,

Chris Peterson
    ComprehensiveRepair.com

Larry, go ahead and DISS the drum sander you just got rid of. Many would do well to read your unsatisfactory critique. Being a woodworker of experience, you can decide if you just had a lemon, or that model is unsatisfactory in general.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I bought a new tractor, so my quest for a wide belt is on hold until I pay the tractor off. The tractor will actually be a part of my new shop replacing a hard tire forklift that was not going to cut it in my new location.

14. Speed Cut

Does anyone have any experience with a Speed Cut wide belt sander. It looks like they have not been making this unit for too long. It is, apparently, American made which I like but I have not been able to find out too much info on it other than from the biased manufacturer. It is specifically a 37" that I am looking at but the quality should be the same no matter the size.
    This is my first go at a wide belt sander and I don't like doing things twice so I try and read as much as I can before hand and usually have some experience with a machine before I buy. I worked with one that a friend of mine has but he admits that it is in need of adjustment and that it is a bear to do. Any information appreciated greatly.

Any reason you don't consider a stroke sander?? Perfect for sanding panels and doors and many of the shops I worked in over the past 40 years had a widebelt and at least one if not more than one stroke sander. For a small shop with a small budget it would be my first choice for a sander. Very versatile and don't really take up that much more room than a widebelt as you don't need the extra space to in feed and off feed a widebelt and you can put it against a wall. You can often pick them up for scrap metal prices as folks who don't know the value of a stroke sander dismiss them as old technology. I've used them in custom metal and woodshops. Belts are cheap and easy to change. The last one I bought was an old Mattison and was installed in a custom metal shop to do his so labor intensive so called "hand finishing" he didn't think could be duplicated with a machine.