Thread: Thank you Jeff Nicol!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thank you Jeff Nicol!

I decided to try building a Jeff Nicol style steady rest myself, and with some helpful information from Jeff I think mine turned out pretty good. I chose 3 wheels over 4 just so I could use it on smaller diameter work pieces. I know my welds don't look as pretty as his do, but they are strong. This thing is a whole lot quieter than the one I had made out of wood, and it's rock solid.

Sorry for the grainy pic. I didn't notice that it was grainy until I put it on my computer, and I'm too lazy to retake it.

Thanks for the idea and the help, Jeff!

Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good to me. Nice Job.

looking good, turned out pretty dang nice.

Looks Good Matt
    What did you use for the Steel Ring & where did you get the Ring?
    I know of a couple of Club members that I'm sure would build one if they had the Steel Ring.

Looks to be aluminum, that ups the skill level when welding for sure. Form follows function and looks like yours will perform just fine. Good Job! I am also curious where you found the ring.

And Yes, Jeff is a great guy.

Matt - that sure looks nice!

I built a steady out of wood and made it with 4 wheels because if you use a hollowing system that has a laser - the top center wheel would be in the way. With the 4 wheel - a lot of time I end up moving the upper 10 o'clock position wheel totally out of the way so I can track where the laser is hitting the turning.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Matt - that sure looks nice!

I built a steady out of wood and made it with 4 wheels because if you use a hollowing system that has a laser - the top center wheel would be in the way. With the 4 wheel - a lot of time I end up moving the upper 10 o'clock position wheel totally out of the way so I can track where the laser is hitting the turning.

I see no reason you could not fabricate it with provisions to use 3 or 4 wheels whether it be made form wood or metal. Would be more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Owen
    It's made out of steel, and then spray painted with a metalic silver paint to somewhat match my lathe.
    LOL, sure looked lake aluminum. $20 is not bad for the ring.

Looks great and looks like it will work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks like it should work well!

Looks good Matt, if it works as well as Jeff's steady you will love it.

I bought the ring from McMaster Carr. It's a 16" diameter pipe flange (called an angle ring), item number 1764K62.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#angle-rings/=6fhzkf

It's made out of steel, and then spray painted with a metalic silver paint to somewhat match my lathe.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Matt

Glad you got it made

Matt, It looks like it will do the trick. I just picked up 7 more rings today so keep up with the ones I have to make right now. The welding thing is all about timing and getting the heat correct for the material you are working with. It looks like you were a little cold and maybe a bit to fast. But sometimes the worst welds last the longest! I have some on my old tractor that I bet are 40 years old and look like chicken poop, but they are still there and holding what they were ment to hold! G

Glad you got it done and you should be happy with making it yourself, it always gives a guy satisfaction knowing they did it themselves.

Have fun,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Matt, congrats on the steady, but this thread has just reminded me again of why I had Jeff make mine!! I could take that pile of metal and it would be unrecognizable when I got through with it.

You did a good job on this one!!

Nice job, but I'm with Mr. Keeton on this one. I'll go to Jeff when the time comes.