Thread: Router table template guide question

Router table template guide question

I have been using a router table with a template guide bushing to rout out different shapes of blind dovetails (the shapes are not nessearliy dovetails but cresents, greek keys, bear ears etc) this requires 2 jigs with a built in offset (I got mine from woodline usa).

I use a dedicated 2 1/4 hp PC router with a fixed base that I leave attached to the table. I remove the router from the base in order to change the bits or the collet as some of the bits are 1/4 and some are 1/2 inch.

In order to have them come out properly you have to be pretty exacting in using the jig and centering the cutting bit (usually 1/8 inch) in the template bushing with the use of a centering pin.
    My question is this: since I only remove the motor from the base and not the base itself from the table, do I need to go through the motions of using the centering pin each time I change a bit?

As always I am grateful for any help.

Louie.

If you don't, does it seem off and not work?

Havent tried it without recentering it, just wanted to know if it was nessary to recenter.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Ballis View Post
    Havent tried it without recentering it, just wanted to know if it was nessary to recenter.
    In one word, no.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks Myk.