Thread: walnut for desk tabletop

walnut for desk tabletop

How well will walnut work for writing/computer desk tabletop that would be in daily use? It's not that hard kind of a wood - I have to be so carefull during sanding not to ding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Petrenko View Post
    How well will walnut work for writing/computer desk tabletop that would be in daily use? It's not that hard kind of a wood - I have to be so carefull during sanding not to ding it.
    Walnut is frequently used for desks / writing surfaces - I would recommend a tougher finish than oil, but it should work just fine once finished properly. Conversion varnish would probably be the best but most of us can't use it... a short oil phenolic varnish would be a recommendation perhaps?

With a good finish it is very good stuff for desks.

I like Waterlox or Behlen's Rockhard for wiping varnishes and Target coatings stuff for spray.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

be sure you fill the pores.

I'm doing my first project with walnut - dining table and benches. It is wonderful wood to work - no tear out, sands beautifully, takes stain well, is easy to machine. I really like it. If you want a glass type finish then you should fill it - if not it finishes similarly to oak. It will work well for a desk top.

If it's a writing desk, you'll definitely want to fill the grain.

Walnut, however, isn't as hard to fill as oak - especially if you don't color it. You can either put on a few priming coats of shellac and sand them back level with the pores, or you can use a thinned varnish wetsanded in with 220-400 to create a slurry that you pull into the grain with a soft cloth. It might take a couple more coats and some elbow grease, but if you have the time, it's worth it.

I'm completing a rocking chair using this method, and it feels just yummy.

Walnut's a really beautiful furniture wood that seemed to fall out of fashion, at least among my customers, in the Eighties and Nineties; at the time cherry became all the rage.

I think you can build a very satisfactory finish without specifically filling the grain; Matt's suggestion of a short oil varnish (basically an indoor varnish) would give you a very durable finish, either quite bright (gloss) or matt or anywhere in between. Takes care in applying, though, since it's slow drying.

I agree with Shawn that a few primer coats will do a lot of level the pores; I don't think it's quite as porous as mahogany, for instance.

I've used Mohawk's Tung Oil on walnut with great results; multiple coats really build, and on a dresser top I see every day there's been no wear or tear and it's been maybe twenty years since the finish went on.

If you don't dye or stain it it will turn a very beautiful copper gold color after a few years.

But be sure to work on the desk, not into it; write on something other than a single piece of paper, etc..
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 03-31-2010 at 12:47 PM.

I completed a walnut desk for my wife about 1-2 months ago. We put a glass top on it to protect it from the monitor, writing, etc. Certainly not as attractive as without it, but the glass does let the finish show through.

I actually like the eventual "usage" dings that result in desks. To me, it's like a workbench - hard to ding up initially but eventually it becomes even more usable and beautiful after it shows its service record.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Petrenko View Post
    Igor,

The following is a sewing table I made for Sandy, my wife - she even attaches a magnifier on the walnut top:

The legs are also walnut, and the tenons on the aprons are drawbored into the legs. The aprons are quarter-sawn white oak.

It is in use every day, with her tools on (scissors, etc.) It does show a ding or two, but it is staying beautiful. After sealing with dewaxed shellac, I finished by spraying with Target Coatings' EM2000wvx varnish.

Last edited by Al Navas; 03-31-2010 at 2:57 PM. Reason: To correct a typo.
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking