Thread: Wood for "Memorial" Park Bench

Wood for "Memorial" Park Bench

I have been asked about making a park bench as a memorial. I am wondering about what type of wood I should use. I was thinking about Cypress. I've done a bit of work with cypress and like it a lot. I also know it stands up to outdoor use well. Another option would be Redwood. I would rather stay away from cedar. Any other ideas?

My biggest problem with either cypress or redwood is getting a supply of it. It is not available locally and shipping would be a major issue. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by Royce Meritt; 11-10-2004 at 10:16 AM.

I have done a few projects with Cypress and it is a great lumber to use. I found that the best availability is in the spring. The one yard I get it from tells me that Spring is when they harvest the sunken logs, so it's the best availability. You might want to try Woodfinder.com or check with Woodmizer and see if any local sawers know of a source or try CYPRESS in a google source.

Other choices would be White Oak and then on the higher end is Ipe and Teak, both can be hard to find though.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by Greg Narozniak; 11-10-2004 at 10:13 AM.

Royce
    Have you thought about white oak. It has been used in wooden boat building foe centurys. I built an outdoor bench from it a few years ago and it is holding up well.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

I think that David makes a good suggestion. While cypress is a wonderful wood to use for outdoor projects, it's a relatively soft wood and may not hold up well for "public" use. It can also get splintery, depending on the grain orientation and how it's maintained. White oak (NOT red oak!) is a much harder and stronger species, is extremely weather resistant and it would be my choice for this kind of project where a domestic species is called for. Teak and Ipe would be the other two I'd consider, but present both supply and cost challenges over white oak.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks! I had originally thought about white oak (which is available locally) but for some reason I forgot about it once I got Cypress in my head.

Royce,

I have a client asking for the exact same project - a memorial garden bench. I posted a thread just last night. You may have access to white oak. I understand that it is very weather resistant. I am leaning toward cypress. Hope all turns out well.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Royce
    Another note on white oak. I have read that you should not use quarter sawn white oak for outdoor projects as it will be more likely to splinter. I have no personal experience with this but thought I would pass this allong.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

I'd go with teak or ipe (Brazilian Cherry) or mahogany. White Oak holds up but weathers badly, gets splinters and the surface gets rough.