Thread: Long board skate board

Long board skate board

I just finished this project with a friend of mine. It's been quite a while since the two of us have been able to work on a project together like the good ol' days... We had a blast! It took 1-2 nights a week for a few weeks to complete but this past Saturday we took her for the maiden voyage.

The board is red birch, tiger maple and cherry. 44" long 9" wide, with a wheel base of about 33". Used the Domino along all glue joints. Finish is BLO then a few quick coats of shellac, will probably add a number of coats of wipe on poly for some added durablity.

We had so much fun taking it out for a ride that we ended up shooting some video with our "point & shoot" digi camers -- which lead to "Lets post this on YouTube!!!!" So, we did. Here is a link to my blog where the video is posted and also there is a post going through the process so read along and let me know what you think!

Longboard Maiden Voayage Video!!!

Thanks for looking,
    NWB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

wow - that is really, really cool. Video was great, looks like a lot of fun. How is the flex on it? You planning on putting grip tape on the top? Looks like a really long and fun hill you guys have to bomb there as well. Nicely done! One of these is on my "bucket list" as well - just need to find the time but I think between you guys and Sascha Gast (spelling) the project has moved up the list closer to the top.

Thanks Larry!!!

The flex was actually pretty minimal we planned it down to just under 3/4". Not planning any grip tape as we like the look, but may add a finish with some sand in it.... we need to get a few more miles on it first...

It was alot of fun! You should go for it!
    -NWB
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

Another long board...just what I need is some more reason to make one. They're so much fun but still don't own my own as they're fairly expensive. But I sure could bang one out in the shop. Thanks for some more long board inspiration and yours looks great.

Nice job on the longboard fellas...but a word of advice if I may?!?

WEAR A BLOODY BUCKET WHEN YOU RIDE IT!!!!
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Looks great Nick... I have no clue about what makes a good skate-baord and what doesn't but it certainly looks good!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Love the vdeo, very cool.