Thread: Started out as sewing table?

Started out as sewing table?

My wife asked that I build her a sewing table for her portable machine. Was supposed to have a slot for the machine to drop into. She says it is to nice for that now. Dimensions are 20" wide x 62" long. The top is out of an old pew approx 80 years old. The skirt is from an old barn approx. 110 years old. The walnut trim is left over flooring from my house....a mere 16 years old. Never posted pic before. Trying and will see what happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Better pics I hope!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice it is......I agree!

But, go ahead and put the machine in there --- she'll absolutely enjoy her craft more than ever. You can still cut it out and still make the piece fit back in while not for sewing use.

Nice job Barry.
    Just an observation, I see you mitered the walnut frame around the top. I think you might have some issues with those miter joints opening with the expansion of the solid wood top. Usually the top is left as one piece or breadboard edges are used to hide the end grain if the builder desires. Do a search here for breadboard edges and you'll see many fine examples. Otherwise nice clean execution and nice finish.

Nice work.. good proportions. Have to agree with Joe on boxing the top simply for the reason I have been there and done that and didn't get lucky. You may but keep the fact in mind in the future.

Very nice...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I appreciate the input guys. I have built several pieces over the years with mitered trim, including a cedar chest that has a mitered poplar and mitered walnut trim. I will have to say that I have never had an issue with the main wood component expanding and separating the trim. I may have just been lucky. Some of the pieces are 25 years old and still as tight as when they were put together. Everything I do is with "reclaimed" wood. That may make some difference. Again thanks for the encouragement.

Species matters. Aromatic redcedar is possibly the most stable domestic wood, so you might be able to get away with framing it, but ash (or whatever that pew was made of) is another story. Press your luck and you will regret it - that's all we are saying. I can say it because I am aware of wood movement, plan for it, and it STILL bites me more than I would want it to. My house's humidity cycle must be extreme. Or I am an idiot. I figure it is the humidity, and I am sticking to it.

I like your proportions. It is a nice looking table.

Tom, again thanks for the observation. The table top is oak. I am saying that in my experience over the last 28 years I have not had that happen as an issue. With my luck I will on the next. For grins and giggles.....the tree we so commonly call red cedar is not a cedar at all. It is a juniper (Juniperus virginiana). No doubt it is a very stable wood.