Thread: Some new cabinets

Some new cabinets

I would like to start by saying that I started woodworking in August of 2009 with my very first project being an entertainment center for my living room. I now find myself entrenched with everything wood, I read the forums everynight trying to learn as much as I can. I also watch the woodsmith pod cast as well as the wood wisperer. I have thick skin, so If anyone sees any flaws in the way I am trying to build this project, or has any tips, please chime in, thank you

now the project,

Build 30 cabinets for a wet lab atmosphere made up of lowers with drawers and doors, and uppers with sliding glass. The base cabinets will have chem top formica.

Here is where I am at:

Milling the poplar for the drawers

Cutting cabinets

A couple of them put together

Milling face frames and doors

and finally my very first attempt and dovetails... needs some work, lol

I will update as I move along, and once again any criticism would be benificial as I try to learn this craft.

Mike, you have already critiqued your dovetails, and beyond that it looks as though you are doing a fantastic job! Looking forward to the rest of the project.

Keep moving forward Mike. The DT's aren't as bad as they might appear in your rear view mirror on first glane and they get easier the more you cut.

Good luck...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

I would sticker the drawer parts and any other solid wood panels/boards to help minimize the cup you can get between milling and final assembly. Flat boards also yield better dovetail results because the pieces mate with fewer gaps.

You're off to a good start, your cabinets will look great!

I think the biggest problem I am having with the dovetails is the rounded top, I cant seem to get the two pieces to meet the stop the same every time due to the.... (... of the round over. It is the delta omni-jig and it is giving me FITS!! I might have to switch to pocket screws.

Very nice and excellent first shot at DTs