Thread: New Member, PC 16ga Nailer Question

New Member, PC 16ga Nailer Question

Hi Folks -
    I'm a new member here. Thanks to Chris Padilla for introducing me to the board. Just what I need, another online forum to keep me from work! :-)

I'm an amateur carpenter, remodeler currently working on a whole house remodel of my 1962 modern home in the Santa Cruz mountains of California. Progress is slow, but I'm learning alot. So far I've done alot of demolition, wiring, insulation, and drywall work. I'm anxious for the finish carpentry and kitchen cabinet construction, but that's a long ways off.

So, for my first question. I have an FN250B 16ga PC nailer that I broke out this weekend to trim out some doors. I find that I only get a nail with every other pull of the trigger. This is 100% consistent behavior of this gun. I've never used one before, but I think this should not be the case.

When trimming out a vertical surface, casing on a door, on the first pull I get a dimple from the "hammer", I pull back on the safety, press in again, pull and I get a fastener. Any ideas why this is? The manual's troubleshooting section is no help.

I'm using PC fasteners and the pancake compressor that came with the kit.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Hey Jeff...good to see you posting and welcome...hopefully you'll get some good replies. Any luck contacting PC?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Something is sticking in it probably. Have you gave it a good oiling?
    Second thought. Are you releasing the trigger before firing another nail?
    These are not rapid fire guns. The trigger needs to be released each time.

Hi Jeff -

Welcome t the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas (and otherwise avoid actual work. )

Since you are using the ammon that came with the gun, that is probably not the cause. Is the safety mecahnism - the part that gets depressed when you puch the gub to the work - fully extending and getting pressed down again? Must be, otherwise the gun won't fire. Where did you get the gun? Can you take it back and get another?

Regards, and good luck with the mis-fires.

Ted

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Jeff,

Glad to have another wader in the creek.
    Is this a new gun??? You say broke out??
    Is it clean? lite oil on the nail track. Couple drops tool oil only in the air port to lube the inside.
    How's the air preasure (SWAG, you are getting it to fire) Should be manufacturers recomendation. Usually 90-100 PSI.
    Good luck Let us know how it turns out.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roberts
    When trimming out a vertical surface, casing on a door, on the first pull I get a dimple from the "hammer", I pull back on the safety, press in again, pull and I get a fastener. Any ideas why this is?
    Jeff,

Hello and another welcome. I have the same nailer (I think since I thought it is 250A, not B). There should be no pulling back of any safety and pressing and pulling again.....that part seems really strange with any nailer I'm familiar with. Perhaps the magazine has some issues with the spring(s)?

Does the problem occur if you try nailing so that the magazine is above the nose?
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Jeff....Welcome to the 'Creek!

Based on the fact that you're getting a dimple...but no nail it doesn't sound like a feed problem with the gun.....I'd take it back if it's new. If not, I'd try oiling the "drive pin" in the "nose" of the gun. Sounds like it might not be fully retracting after driving a nail. But after firing on "empty" it gets fully retracted. I don't believe it to be a magazine feed problem due to the fact that you stated it did it consistantly every other time.

Again......Welcome to the 'Creek!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the kind welcomes and advice.

The gun is new, except I purchased it a year ago and haven't used it until now. So returning it is probably not an option at this point. I will check the air pressure and oil it properly before my next use. Most likely it's operator error, but your advice and experience has shed some light on the problem.

I'm looking forward to participating here as much as possible and hopefully I can contribute on some level. :-)

We like pics, Jeff...lots of them!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.