Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DDD (Dust Deputy Disappointment)

Price breakdown for most products:

Manufacturing costs (amortized tooling, parts, labor, advertising, packaging, manuals, etc.) = $X
    Wholesale price to vendors= $2X
    Retail price to customer = $4X

So if a DD sells for $60, it costs around $15 to make.

I built a Thien separator last month, and I'm incredibly happy with it. I probably have $40 bucks in materials in it. Now I just need to re-evaluate the best way to use it now! Much more affordable route to take on dust control.
    Living that Anne of Green Gables lifestyle...

It's not great with anything lighter than heavy dust if you have a strong vacuum. What I have found that works well for me is to run a line in to the garbage can (33 gallons) and still use the line out through the dust deputy.

I have a combination of plane shavings and machine dust, though.

It's out of this world expensive for what it is, regardless of development costs, but I got mine on sale and I guess the fact that I couldn't justify the time to make something similar and the desire to find a better solution got me to buy it.

I wouldn't buy it again, though, given that my dirt is a combination of things that includes plane shavings sometimes. I have about the same performance that I had with the can without it in the first place. Sheer laziness will keep me from taking it off the top of the can and hooking the output hose back to the can itself on the top, and maybe at some point in the future I'll do some things that are purely machine dust where it works better.

Folks,

The discussion at hand in this thread is whether or not the OPs Dust Deputy is working properly.

Any other topics are not germane.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Folks,

The discussion at hand in this thread is whether or not the OPs Dust Deputy is working properly.

Any other topics are not germane.
    Dan,
    You've gotten this comment over and over. I'll add to it. I have the cheap plastic Dust Deputy. I have it tied to an old Craftsman Vac. The DD is setting on a 5 gallon paint bucket. I bought a riged hose to cut up and transistion from the DD to the vac. It's been 8 month now and shown in the pictures is all I've gotten out of the vacuums canister, it's very lite fluffy stuff. I've emptyed the bucket many times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 04-11-2010 at 8:13 AM.

Dust Deputy - Latest Update

Here are some pictures of what I came up with. I am also showing pictures after picking up some sawdust. They show all of it in the white bucket and none in the vaccum or on the filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

just got one earlier this month. I love it. It does a good job with sheet rock sanding dust too.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic