Thread: Help with hand rail design

Question Help with hand rail design

I’m in the process of upgrading the stair well into my basement and I need to make a hand rail. This is rough sketch of what I am thinking of making. The dark wood is oak and the light is partial board. I’m want to do it this way because I don’t have enough material to make it all out of oak. My question is am I asking for trouble by laminating the oak to the partial board like this? My gut feeling is that it will be OK, but I thought I would run it by the group before trying it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wayne,

Be sure to check code requirements for a minimum handrail in your area. The code may dictate what the rail can be made of. Good luck.
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

not sure 'bout your building code, but heres NYS building code on rails:

R311.5.6 Handrails. Handrails shall be provided on at least one side of each continuous run of treads or flight with four or more risers.

R311.5.6.1 Height. Handrail height, measured vertically from the sloped plane adjoining the tread nosing, or finish surface of ramp slope, shall be not less than 34 inches (864 mm) and not more than 38 inches (965 mm).

R311.5.6.2 Continuity. Handrails for stairways shall be continuous for the full length of the flight, from a point directly above the top riser of the flight to a point directly above lowest riser of the flight. Handrail ends shall be returned or shall terminate in newel posts or safety terminals. Handrails adjacent to a wall shall have a space of not less than 11/2 inch (38 mm) between the wall and the handrails.

R311.5.6.3 Handrail grip size. All required handrails shall be of one of the following types or provide equivalent graspability.
    1. ***Type I. Handrails with a circular cross section shall have an outside diameter of at least 11/4 inches (32 mm) and not greater than 2 inches (51 mm). If the handrail is not circular it shall have a perimeter dimension of at least 4 inches (102 mm) and not greater than 61/4 inches (160 mm) with a maximum cross section of dimension of 21/4 inches(57 mm).
    2. ***Type II. Handrails with a perimeter greater than 61/4 inches (160 mm) shall provide a graspable finger recess area on both sides of the profile. The finger recess shall begin within a distance of 3/4 inch (19 mm) measured vertically from the tallest portion of the profile and achieve a depth of at least 5/16 inch (8 mm) within 7/8 inch (22 mm) below the widest portion of the profile. This required depth shall continue for at least 3/8 inch (10 mm) to a level that is not less than 13/4 inches (45 mm) below the tallest portion of the profile. The minimum width of the handrail above the recess shall be 11/4 inches (32 mm) to a maximum of 23/4 inches (70 mm). Edges shall have a minimum radius of 0.01 inches (0.25 mm).
    hope it helps.

Good points guys if I’m going to build it I may as well build it to code. Aaron it looks like my rough design with a cross section of 2x5 inches falls within the specifications of the code you cite, but it looks like I may need to modify the profile some. I will look up the code for my area. Thank you.

The issue I was concerned with in my original post is gluing oak to particleboard. Is this likely to self destruct due to unequal expansion of the two materials as a result of humidity changes?