Thread: New shaper like Powermatic 2700 versus old commerical.

New shaper like Powermatic 2700 versus old commerical.

Lets assume that the 5 hp Powermatic 2700 is $3000 and add $1000 for a feeder.

I have a rotary phase converter unit that runs 45 hp and no motor to exceed 15 hp.

There have been a lot of auctions of industrial cabinetshops around here lately.

The Powermatic seems to be limited to a 5 inch cutter. Would I be better off with a commercial unit in the 7 1/2 to 10 hp size for comparable or less dollars.

Since I do not height restrictions I was thinking the same about used bandsaws.

Thanks for looking.

Herb

Are you a large professional shop or otherwise using it everyday?

Unless you do some very big work I can see nothing that a 7.5 HP will do that a 5 won't. Now a tilting arbor if you can find a commercial unit with one will allow all kinds of cool stuff.

Of course there is always the bigger the better thing and I would never discourage someone from getting a big tool.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

i have the 2700 & powermatic feeder

my 1st shaper - I can't imagine needing anything more - I admit a tilting spindle would be nice but so far the lack of one has not caused me problems

the integral digital height gauge is the bomb - if you record settings (how many spacers/shims in a particular cutter setup, cutter height, etc) it is really easy to go back and recreate a setup dead-on the first time

of course from your post you sound like a commercial user and I don't make any money at this (actually I try to limit how much I lose ) so my advice might not be all that relevant

I suppose it depends on what YOU plan to use it for, the PM2700 does have a really nice fence though.

As far as bandsaws I think t depends on your price range and your throat and resaw needs. The old bandsaws can be great but are more limited in resaw height compared to wheel size that you don't see in the modern Italian saws. On the BS side I favor the Laguna saws due to the premium placed on resaw height and I much prefer their guides and with 6hp Baldors available even in the LT18 they certainly have the grunt but aren't cheap.

I doubt, under most circumstances, you would ever need more than a 5hp. shaper. The real issue is: for the price of (1) PM2700 and power feeder, you could probably shop around and buy three used industrial shapers! You already have the power source for big 3ph. machinery. Condition would not be pristine, and may need spindle or motor bearings, but that is part of buying used. There is little to go wrong with old shapers. A damaged spindle or broken cast iron will be obvious.

I am all for the most bang for the buck! Take advantage of our depressed economy and look for bargain machinery; especially if you are a hobbiest, or part-time commercial woodworker. I made out like a bandit during the '80s *Reagan Era*, acquiring a PM26, and two Moak CI shapers for less than $300. The PM even came with a functional 1/2hp. power feeder, after I machined a few parts for it.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

You can even get a deal on a decent shaper from a used equipment dealer these days:

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/mac...ts/438305.html
    JR

I had a mostly Powermatic shop for over 15 years. PM66, PM26 shaper, PM Planer, PM Planer, and PM Bandsaw. Then I bought an old SCMI 12" jointer. WOW, commercial EURO tools are in a completely different league. The PM2700 is nice, a used SCMI would be better IMHO.

Have you tried a commercial machine? The bearings in a PM shaper are modest is diameter. The bearings in an SCMI T130 must be 4-5X the weight. That's just an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Mulqueen View Post
    The Powermatic seems to be limited to a 5 inch cutter. Would I be better off with a commercial unit in the 7 1/2 to 10 hp size for comparable or less dollars.
    It seems the idea of going with a larger machine stems from the "5 inch cutter" comment. The table opening is 7 3/8" with 6" under the nut so quite a bit bigger than you were thinking.

However since you do have the ability to run three phase, I feel you would do well to look for used industrial machines.

Thanks for inputs from all.

Ten years ago, I sold my roof and floor truss plant. So doing doing big and heavy was the way to go, when I was in business.

Now retired, I just keeping busy, but old habits are hard to forget.

Buying equipment during housing crunches was something I like to do.

I have lots of space in a barn near the house and a 28x 58 x10 garage attached to the house.

So far I taken over 40 feet of the garage and left the one bay to the wife.

The barn space is big and has lots empty space. 32x32 x14 with a wood floor and another 32x32 x20 foot with a dirt floor. All of that space is empty for a shop. Of course there is the barn and another storage area off the barn.

The electric company wanted too much for a 3 phase line. Even though I brought the main line to the plant 30 years ago. So I had the rotary phase converter just sitting in the barn for almost 30 years unused. If I get three phase equipment.

It just gets my juices stirring when I see Scmi shaper /feeder going for 3 K or a 40k plus shaper/sander going for 6k hardly used.

I thought I read that the powermatic 2700 could only swing a 5 inch head.
    Perhaps i am wrong.

And when you go on Ebay there seems to be a lot of 6 and 7 inch shaper heads for sale.

Again, I really should just do inlay work and boxes and forget all the big stuff.

Thanks again,

Herb

10. Cant resist telling this story. A few years ago I was shopping for shapers when I ran across this 3hp Powermatic model 27 S/T on Amazon for $440.00 with free shipping. After checking prices on the same model at other websites and calling Amazon to make sure the price was right and that the machine was indeed new and not used or refurbished, I purchased it. Cheapest price I found other than Amazon was $1980.00 not including shipping. Best tool deal I ever got

2008.jpg

So it sounds like you do or want to do woodworking as a hobby, and you are not that deep into it yet. Perhaps you should decide what you like to do and aquire the tool when the need for it arises. A PM2700 would probably be fine for you, and there really is no need to spend twice as much if you will never need the capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Mulqueen View Post
    It just gets my juices stirring when I see Scmi shaper /feeder going for 3 K or a 40k plus shaper/sander going for 6k hardly used.
    Herb
    I know what you mean! And we're talking <10 year old machines with many years of hard use ahead. The SCM is hard to beat for shapers unless you go for Martin. It would be hard for me to go back. But shape and sand is so set up and tooling intensive that it is tough to justify for small runs of anything.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    Cant resist telling this story. A few years ago I was shopping for shapers when I ran across this 3hp Powermatic model 27 S/T on Amazon for $440.00 with free shipping. After checking prices on the same model at other websites and calling Amazon to make sure the price was right and that the machine was indeed new and not used or refurbished, I purchased it. Cheapest price I found other than Amazon was $1980.00 not including shipping. Best tool deal I ever got

2008.jpg
    That's one for the record books!
    JR