Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital SLR

Blog Entries

Digital SLR

Hello all, where is the best place to look for a Digital SLR? I know Amazon has them at decent prices but is there a online retailer that is reputable and with good prices? I'm looking at Canon or Nikon at this time. Thanks for any help, Sean

Sean - Check this place out: http://www.buydig.com/shop/searchres...=3014&pti=3014

I picked up my Canon T1i camera with 2 lenses and accessories back in January. Everything arrived as ordered and in minimal time! Very happy with them and will go back when I want some additional accessories.

Here is another site that may help you find a place: http://www.resellerratings.com/

Good luck and if you have any questions about the Canon T1i - I may be able to answer them.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

good place

Sean:

I have always tried to buy locally. I have shopped for the last 15 years at a local place where I am that sells audio, TV, and camera stuff. I get to handle and try out equipment, I get to return or exchange it easily, and from what I have seen I get better advice than what I find online or in warehouse stores. I usually pay a little premium for this - maybe 5% if at all - but I am helping to pay for the store being here and salespeople to help me. And I keep money in the community.

It has given me great advice and suggestions, and their counter help is extremely knowledgeable. They also have a national online site. I think you would get great advice from them. Solidly reliable and reputable place, and the prices will be comparable to just about anywhere else. I would feel a LOT better about buying from somewhere like this than an Amazon store I didn't know anything about:

http://www.onecall.com

Good luck. Also try Steve's Digicams website for loads of practical buying information: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Carlos
    Last edited by Carlos Alden; 04-03-2010 at 12:55 PM.

also try www.buy.com, www.gearxs.com, www.frys.com, www.newegg.com, www.beachcamera.com. I have purchased from all of these and its been good. Also some how I got on a mailing list for www.abesofmaine.com, not sure if I ever bought from them.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose

Jack

I bought my Nikon from cameta.com and was happy with both cost & service.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

B&H Photo or Adorama, both from NY. Excellent prices and excellent service and support. They also offer 3rd party extended warranties that are VERY reasonable. Both ship almost immediately and both know their stuff.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Can't help with where to shop but I use a D series Nikon at work and it is an incredible camera.

I know a couple of pro's who also use the D series and love them.

You can rack up a heavy bill quickly when you start shopping for them.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I second B & H. I have the Nikon D300 and the D700. I bought the D300 at Wolf Camera and I got their extended warranty. After about three months, the camera locked up, and I couldn't do anything with it. I carried it back to Wolf, and they swapped it out, no questions asked. The D700 came from B & H, and I have no problem ordering from them again. While there is no problem involved, I had buyers remorse, contacted them to cancel the order the same day. The camera had shipped, but the lens I ordered too was canceled right away. I later ended up buying the lens from them anyway.
    As far as problems go, don't get too worried about the brand. They all have the occaisional bad egg, but that should be minimal at best. In regards to the extended warrenty I got at Wolf, the clerk told me that a customer had set the camera on top of his car, loaded a few others things, then got in and drove off. By the time he realized where he had left the camera, retraced his route, and found it, the camera was toast. He picked up the pieces, went to the store and they gave him a new one because he had the warranty.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alden View Post
    Sean:

I have always tried to buy locally. I have shopped for the last 15 years at a local place where I am that sells audio, TV, and camera stuff. I get to handle and try out equipment, I get to return or exchange it easily, and from what I have seen I get better advice than what I find online or in warehouse stores. I usually pay a little premium for this - maybe 5% if at all - but I am helping to pay for the store being here and salespeople to help me. And I keep money in the community.

It has given me great advice and suggestions, and their counter help is extremely knowledgeable. They also have a national online site. I think you would get great advice from them. Solidly reliable and reputable place, and the prices will be comparable to just about anywhere else. I would feel a LOT better about buying from somewhere like this than an Amazon store I didn't know anything about:

http://www.onecall.com

Good luck. Also try Steve's Digicams website for loads of practical buying information: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Carlos
    I always try to buy locally also but we have no camera stores in this area. Other than crossing the river to go into Indiana and shop at Best Buy, online is my next best thing. I would never buy anything from Best Buy that costs more than a few dollars. They don't back up anything they sell and it costs to return an item. No thanks.

Another plus for B&H. Good prices, service and excellent selection of equipment.
    David B

I have used Tristate Camera in New York for a lot of years. They have been good on price, returns and advice. I would rather deal with a store that I can call and talk with the people. Several reputable ones have been listed in the thread. I think the price will be similar at most of them but you can kind of wait and watch for a special.

When you are buying a camera, you may want to also see if you can get a good deal on an extra battery, extra memory card, camera case, etc.

Another recommendation of B&H. You might be able to find a better price if you really shop around (but then again, you might not), but you can't beat their service.

Sean,
    Have you put your hands on the cameras you have in mind? You can't go wrong with Nikon or Cannon but they have a different feel. I went with a Nikon D80 instead of the comperable Cannon because I like the way it felt in my hand

Sean

I just purchased a Nikon D90 about a month ago. I personally chose to purchase through a local brick and mortar store. That's me though. If my camera breaks, or needs service, I want to be able to walk in and talk to someone.
    In my research of Nikons. The absolute cheapest price I could find was through, are you ready for this, Walmart.
    I know what everyone is thinking, but you can purchase the higher end Nikons and Canons through Walmart's online page and have them delivered to a local Walmart.If you know anyone that works at a Walmart, they may be able to purchase the camera for you at an additional 10% off the online price.
    As for after the sale service, I doubt Walmart is going to be able compete with any dedicated camera shop, and certainly not BH. They're pretty much the standard.

I went back and forth between the Nikon D90, the D300 and the Canon 50D. All really nice cameras.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

+1 for B&H and Adorama. I've used them both, and they are reputable, high volume, low cost dealers.

I seem to recall that Costco, oddly enough, sometimes has very good kit prices on the Nikons.