Thread: Newbie question

Newbie question

I've been looking at building a cnc router for a while looking at plans but have found nothing on the wiring and the drive controlers. Is there somewere that I can read up on this? Building the machine I don't think will be a problem I'm a toolmaker by trade and make machines all the time .Just don't know the wireing end very well any help were to look?

I have a Joe's 4x4 hybrid that I have built and recently re-built. It is my second machine. The wiring worried me as well on my first machine and I made the mistake of buying a too cheap already put together package and regretted it. A great resource is cnczone.com in the forums section DIY wood routers. Also, I highly recommend getting a Gecko G540 if you are looking at building a smaller 4'x4' or even a 4'x8' table if you match the steppers right. It takes most of the guess work out of it. It contains a breakout board to connect to the parallel port of your controller PC (also called a BOB), it is opto-isolated, and has 4-driver boards built in. All you need to add is a power supply, a stop switch, and the stepper motors that match the rating of the G540.

I am not lying when I say that you can have it up in running in less than an hour. Go to the Geko Drive website and look at the G540 Initial Set-Up Guide. If you have questions, ask.
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!