Thread: Another small gloat

Another small gloat

I was at WoodCrafter's last week and spotted the medium set of hollow scrapers from Kelton Industries on the clearance table. I picked up the set for $55 (normally $110 or $99 from Lee Valley). I still need to get the large size handle, but boy these things are beefy. Anyone use these out there and if so what's your thoughts? I just couldn't pass up for the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

My local Wood craft had a similar deal.....good buy!

Great deal, Scott! I may have to hitch a ride on the next wagon train going west and check out my local store. It is not around the corner for me to just drop in and see what's on the bargain table. Enjoy. You could make individual handles for each one and save the expense of buying the factory handle...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Kelton makes a nice system, Scott. Good score. And they will work with both the Kelton handles, the Kelton captive system and most other captive systems or handles with or without a shaft size adapter. Remember to only "sharpen" them on the top surface by honing most of the time so you don't wear away the length/configuration.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Kelton makes a nice system, Scott. Good score. And they will work with both the Kelton handles, the Kelton captive system and most other captive systems or handles with or without a shaft size adapter. Remember to only "sharpen" them on the top surface by honing most of the time so you don't wear away the length/configuration.
    Thanks for the tip. They're still int he protective coating until I get the handle. I think I am going with the larger handle for added beef, it's only about $60 locally.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott,

Are you going to make your own handles? Leif Hanson has a nice lil' write-up in the Neander section. I think I'll do that (one of these days) with the rasps I picked up in the deal Dave posted about.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13648
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris,

I plan to buy the Kelton handle (large) that they offer. It will had some serious weight to the tool. When working on my most recent bowl my hands got real cramped trying to clean out the inside. I think the added beef with help prevent that.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott, nice score on the tools! I'll be stopping out to our local Woodcraft and will need to check if they have any available at closeout. Have fun with them!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Scott,

I was thinking about the mission chair you made recently and your new found talent at making glass tiles. How about marrying the two? I think it could be a nice "Coffelt Design" element to your work. Also, don't just think flat and square tiles either...bend the suckers and make different shapes. Anyway, just something that popped into my head while jogging this morning (as weird things often do...I swear I do my best design work while jogging).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris,

I have been toying with the idea to include fused glass in my work. Since I plan to build a house someday soon, I wanted to wait until we finished it so I could get a feel for what I need or the space. I've got a plan for a table in chicken scratches that I think glass inlays would look nice. Also thought about some panels (almost like stained glass for a storage unit).

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. Now about that jogging thing....
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs