Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pin nailer?

I understand the safety issue but regular nail guns solve that by requiring the nose to be depressed while the trigger is pulled. I think that works much better than the awkward two stage trigger. But that's my opinion and I'm not a tool engineer. Either way, I can use the device.

I seem to be the only one using the Senco pin nailer. It shoots up to 2" pins. Works great. I made up several newall posts last night and pinned the sides instead of clamping. Got up this morning and they we just as i left them glueing up overnight.

Teh 1.5" and 2" will deflect. I have found no way to pull them out if they do. They will snap off before they pull out. This creates a major problem on the finished surface as well as with your brand new Lie Nielsen low angle jack plane.

Always angle the pins away from the finished surface.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    I understand the safety issue but regular nail guns solve that by requiring the nose to be depressed while the trigger is pulled. I think that works much better than the awkward two stage trigger. But that's my opinion and I'm not a tool engineer. Either way, I can use the device.
    Okay, I hear you. I'm not sure why the usual nose device set-up isn't used, it's a good question for the tool companies though. Good luck with whatever you end up with and enjoy your new pin nailer.

PC for me too

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    +1 on the PC. Love it!
    I like my PC pin nailer as well. Very handy tool...no more splits!

Couple months into using it, I'm pretty darned happy with my Harbor Freight pin nailer, too.

Is it comparable to a Cadex or a Grex ?

Oh ... I can't imagine.

But ... if it's a moderate use tool, for you, and you're looking to economize ... the darned thing works !

I seem to be the only one using the Senco pin nailer. It shoots up to 2" pins. Works great. I made up several newall posts last night and pinned the sides instead of clamping. Got up this morning and they we just as i left them glueing up overnight.

Teh 1.5" and 2" will deflect. I have found no way to pull them out if they do. They will snap off before they pull out. This creates a major problem on the finished surface as well as with your brand new Lie Nielsen low angle jack plane.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Winterowd View Post
    +1 on Cadex. Actually, it's almost identical to the Grex, but I got mine a little cheaper, and I actually use and like the blower feature.
    the Cadex has the ability to shoot slight headed brads. A major plus IMO. the slight head brads hold alot better but you can hardly tell the difference in the size of the nail hole.
    Fullerbuilt

Quote Originally Posted by William M Johnson View Post

Bill
    Yeah, once they're in there, they're IN there Seems to work best for me to use an End Nipper and try to cut them off, then tap the slightly proud pin down below the surface of the wood I'm working with.

nose safety device & option

I have an Air Locker pinner. It has the typical nose safety setup. The potential problem is that the "muzzle" is larger than the 2 trigger guns because of the ring. If you want to get in tight spaces, the safety mechanism may get in the way or hold the gun away from molding profiles. Here's a refurb unit for $50 including an extra driver.
    http://www.toolmarts.com/airlocker_p630r.html
    The only problem I had with mine is the pin feed would occasionally hang up. There was a slight burr where the magazine joined the driver housing. A little sandpaper fixed that and it's been fine since. The tiny holes are handy in that for instance I tacked a piece of molding over some wires to protect them from bunny teeth. I can remove the molding at a later date and the holes will be virtually invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post

I have mine taped to the handle
    Fullerbuilt

11. I've got a bostich and an Omer. The Bostich is ok, sometimes it doesn't set the pin completely in oak for example but a nice feature is the adjustable power setting which is real handy for turning down the power when firing in to thin soft material preventing the pin from going all the way through.

The Omer will shoot both pins and 23g brads up to 2". No problems firing into hardwoods. I do have issues with the design though. I am a southpaw and the gun has a so called "handy" hanger on the handle. It just gets in my way and if I remove it I will have to make up something to keep the back of the handle together. Also the gun has a device in the magazine that will prevent dry firing. That was the first thing I took out as it prevents the firing of about the last 3/4" of pins. Very annoying if your in an awkward spot and it won't fire and you know you still have pins in the gun.

Other than that it is a very well made gun with lots of power, light weight and very pricey.

+1 for the Cadex
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

13. My Grex 635 (I think that's the number) drives max 1 3/8 pins and leaves such a neat hole that I sometimes have to use a magnetic finder to see where I put it. My 650, which will drive a 2 inch pin, leaves a more ragged hole.

I find that the best way to "remove" an errant pin is to bend it back and forth until it breaks. Every one I have tried this with has broken under the surface, leaving a very tiny hole.

One more tip, after changing pins, fire a few into the trash because one or two of the wrong length may stay behind in the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I have an Air Locker pinner. It has the typical nose safety setup. The potential problem is that the "muzzle" is larger than the 2 trigger guns because of the ring. If you want to get in tight spaces, the safety mechanism may get in the way or hold the gun away from molding profiles. Here's a refurb unit for $50 including an extra driver.
    http://www.toolmarts.com/airlocker_p630r.html
    The only problem I had with mine is the pin feed would occasionally hang up. There was a slight burr where the magazine joined the driver housing. A little sandpaper fixed that and it's been fine since. The tiny holes are handy in that for instance I tacked a piece of molding over some wires to protect them from bunny teeth. I can remove the molding at a later date and the holes will be virtually invisible.
    I have the Airlocker also. The safety kept getting in the way so I disabled it and removed the ring. Other than that it works great. You can't really beat the price unless you go HF.