Thread: Which Grizzly jointer: G0656PX or G0490X?

Which Grizzly jointer: G0656PX or G0490X?

I was wondering if anyone here wrestled with the decision between these two Grizzly jointers? They seem very similar with the G0490 having a slightly longer bed and perhaps having the parallelogram design. Levers versus handwheels doesn't worry me too much. For an extra $175, is the 490 worth it?

I am replacing my current 6" Grizzly jointer, which I really like, but just seems too small for the rough-cut lumber I buy.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

G0490X the longer bed and the parallelogram design is worth it.

I've got a G0656 (your choice with blades and green paint) and I have been very pleased with it. I don't find the "non-parallelogram" to be a problem. Once set up properly, I think you're splitting hairs.

That said, I found mine used on Craigslist so the choice was somewhat made for me. If the $175 is no big deal to your wallet, buy the longer bed and parallel as Rich said. But either one should serve you well if that $175 can be another tool you'd have to put off buying.

I purchased the G0490X (I debated vs the older model G0593) two years ago. It's not quite fair comparison as G0656PX is a nicer than G0593. When I face and edge joint, I find that *I* adjust the infeed table height frequently--others do not. I find it quick and easy to change depth of cut by any amount with parallelogram style depending on how much bow, twist, cup, etc. there is in the board. I think otherwise the bed designs are functionally equivalent for most users (dovetail ways vs parallelogram has been debated here before if you care to search for some of the fine point merits of either).

I have not used the rack and pinion fence system, but I think that it might be better than the fence style on G0490. Fence slides back and forth manually on G0490 and is not that easy to adjust, imho. I rarely move my fence though (or perhaps because?)--others might.

In addition to length (longer infeed table on 490 is nice), the cutter head is 3/16" larger on G0490X, FWIW. Other specs seems same or similar.

I'm very happy with my 490X for the way that I usually work. Buying again, I might be tempted to save the $$. I'd probably buy the G0490X again due to parallelogram design and infeed table length as I value those features. If you set your tables and leave 'em it might not be worth it to you.

I pretty much echo Rick's thoughts. I think the parallelogram design is a better design. I have a 6" parallelogram grizzly, and sure wish it was an 8".
    "I may be slow, but I'm expensive."

Thanks

Thank you all for your advice! Decision time is soon!

Blog Entries
    I struggled with it but, not much. I had read so many satisfied reports on the 490 that I went with the G0490X. The p-beds are great but, only if you ever have to adjust your beds. I did my fight with a DT way alignment and this did taint my judgement somewhat. The mag switch is nice but I don't know that it is a deal breaker. The fence control differences are worth thinking about but not a deal breaker.

There was a short period of time where folks received G0490's with the beds out of whack. That unfortunate period seems to have passed quickly. Mine showed up so perfectly co-planer out of the crate that I checked them a half dozen times looking for what I was missing ;-) One funny side note; I stressed over the levers versus the wheels thinking I had to have wheels. In the end, like Rick, I find that the levers are preferable; quick and accurate and am happy they are there.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-05-2011 at 4:39 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler