Thread: Q for Phil Thien

Q for Phil Thien

Phil;

I am going to make a separator as you show on your website and have a question about the baffle location.

Is there a specific location for the baffle in relation to the elbow? In your picture, it doesn't look to be at the halfway point of the outer diameter circumference, but that may be a perspective problem with me. Is there a preferred point for it?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I was reading a different forum a while back (this too is a project in waiting for me), and I read that the end of the elbow is supposed to be closer to the beginning of the larger diameter of the baffle... that way, the air flow from the input does not disrupt the settled dust below...

I might have it printed somewhere... i will try to find.

I too read it like that, and that's how I built it, the elbow just ahead of the edge of the large diameter. Works good too.
    Mick

I found it on a printout I made of the discussion group--i think--associated with Phil's website... The DB host (who evidently from the posts is not Phil) noted that the "the elbow in question empties out at the start of the solid part, not the drop slot, or aperture as you called it, so that they (sic) loaded air is slightly defected away from the shavings / dust below.”

the post was form 9/11/09... I can't link to it at the moment... I think you have to register for a password to get in...

The picture in my first post is a link directly to Phils website. The exit of the chute appears to be at the halfway point, or slightly ahead of it. I'm just wondering how much of a difference it makes as to where the exit is.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I made the end of the elbow about 2" from the edge of the outer diameter that I read somewhere on Thien's forum.

You want it to exit a few inches onto the larger diameter of the baffle.

If it exits too close to the edge of the larger diameter of the baffle, the incoming airstream siphons too much debris back into rotation.

OK. So half way around the large diameter is a good point.
    Thanks for responding, Phil.

I have a secondary question: What is a good radius difference between the small and large sections? I used two inches difference, but it seems too small for the stringy stuff (pine, etc) and clogs above the baffle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I have a secondary question: What is a good radius difference between the small and large sections? I used two inches difference, but it seems too small for the stringy stuff (pine, etc) and clogs above the baffle.
    The typical difference is 1-1/8" to 1-1/4". In R. 2" would be huge. Are you sure you aren't talking D? And what is the apparatus (shop vac or DC)?