Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Tool Racks

Lathe Tool Racks

Over the weekend, I made two turning tool racks. They are basically the design that Jeff Wright used for his tool racks. I searched the site and found a lot of good designs, but this one fits my needs for now.

I made them out of pine. Normally, I would use hardwood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Nice racks, Rich, but I see one problem with them - the rack on the right is nearly empty! You need to fill it up. It's not called the vortex for nothing.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the ideas! I need to do something like that with my new(er) shop.
    Have a Nice Day!

Those are nice.

Nice job on the racks! Your shop is wayyyyyyyy to clean though!

I've been making note of all the tool storage projects I come across for awhile now and need to start building (I suck at flat work)! One thing I have done is to put everything on a cleat system so it can be moved as needed or desired!

Rich,

I never thought I would say this to another guy but 'Nice Racks'.

Where did you find the plan? I need to build some for myself.

I like the saw blade sign in your shop. Did you do that yourself?
    I may have to copy that idea with a similar saw that's been in my garage for as long as I can remember.

Doug

Rich, I did a bunch of research, too, and that was the plan I settled on, as well. You will enjoy those! Nice work!

Doug, I don't want to hijack Rich's thread but I think you will find that Jeff Wright and Dan Forman have the most info on SMC on these racks, and I assembled that into a Word file that had kept. If you want to PM me your email address I can send the file to you, but I will put some of the info below.

These are the dimensions of Jeff's -

The overall length is 25 1/2 inches, 11 inch width, holes are 1.5 inches spaced about 5/16 inches from one hole's edge to the other, rack width is 3 1/8 inch, width of inclined tool rest is 4 1/2 inches, vertical support board just under the topped holed board is 2 1/8 wide, and the middle holed board is placed midway down the height of the rack.

And, this is the info from Dan Forman's -

11" high, 25 1/2" long, 3" deep. the small scallops were done with 1 1/8 forstner bit, the large with 1 1/2" bit. The piece with the large scallops is 3/4" x 1 1/2" The small ones fit my homemade and Sorby handles fine, but I have since picked up a couple of large scrapers from Taylor, and they are much fatter at the outer end of the handle, and consequently don't fit as well as the others. They still go in the rack, but store in a different plane, leaning forward rather than back. The middle scalloped piece is 1 x 3/4, and its bottom edge is 5 1/2" from the base.

Rich may have used these same dimensions. I altered mine a little, but very close to this. I used some scrap maple that was wormy and not good for anything else.

Sorry, Rich, for jumping in, but I had this info handy and thought it would save you the effort.

Looks really nice Rich! Convenient location for easy access but not in the way! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings - soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is the same type set up I built. When I built mine, I got the idea after building a rack for fishing poles.

Nice work on yours.

Rich those look really nice. Looks like you still have one to fill though.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks. I am sure that other rack will fill up quicker than my wife will like.

If anyone wants the plan, I have it in AutoCad format, but I can save it as a PDF. Then you can modify it as you please.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I'd be interested in the cad file, Rich. I think that you can attach .dwg files in posts, if it is under 100kb.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Nice looking racks. What is that jagged device hanging over the racks? Is that what you use to separate box lids? I have something similar inherited from my dad that I have hanging about 12' up on the wall where I hope my son(s) will take down since I never want to use it again.

It isn't a finished drawing, no bill of materials, but it should be intuitive. The AutoCad file is saved as a 2000 version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Nice looking racks. What is that jagged device hanging over the racks? Is that what you use to separate box lids? I have something similar inherited from my dad that I have hanging about 12' up on the wall where I hope my son(s) will take down since I never want to use it again.
    I will have to look for the picture that I took of that old saw. A friend of mine works at a machine shop with a water jet and cut out out my shop name, " Aldrichville Woodworking". It really looks good, but I can find the picture on my computer. I'll have to take another picture.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich