Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to keep the family away from the projects

How to keep the family away from the projects

MY question is, how do you folks/did you folks keep your non-woodworking family away from your projects/workshop. I have been working on both a desk and a couple school projects, so that has kind of enabled be to take over the garage slowly but effectively. So, in true me fashion, I used dis-organized organization(I can find stuff, but very few others can.) Now Ill admit, I was going to do some cleaning, since the word red raum came to mind(I had been sanding some boards down that the wood was red(stripping the paint.) But today I come home to find that my desk has been dragged across the concrete floor, all of the tools I had out have been put away(took me a week to find the tools I had out) and 5 trashbags are occupying 20% of my small half of a 1 car garage.

Now I am only 15, so I think booby traps and Rotwillers are out of the question, but how do I keep the family from screwing(pardon my French) with my area. My grandfather is OCD(well it seems that way) about cleaning so its getting on my nerves(vacume is going 12 hours a day.) It seems like every chance he gets he is messing with the set up I have(I was staining the top of the table, till he decided to stand it up, while it was wet(caused the stain to take the ruts of the concrete), forcing me to strip the stain off. Not to mention he decided to use it a workbench, so now its all banged to hell, cock-eyed, and has indents from the clamps,when he refused to use another surface to cut thread rods on(I forced him to put a board beneath it, since it previously scratched the tablesaw to hell(left indents.) I mean, I am taking two steps forward and three steps back..

I mean we dont use the garage for its intended purpose, so its not a matter of getting the car in there. I mean, I really only work in there 2 days a week by force(grandfather, as I mentioned in an early post, is constantly worried that I will mangle my self in some way, so to deal with that I only work when he is not here) but when I do, boy do I make headway...

I was hoping you kind creekers could shed some suggestions, as I am tired of this... I do plan on drafting a few guidelines that I will make them sign basicly stating that I am willing to pass an inpromptu safety test, and/or take classes, for the ability not to have to work with him when he is here. Also outlining that when projects are in motion, cleaning will not occur. And basicly saying stuff like that. I do plan on purchasing a few tools the end of this summer(depending on how much I make, as so I can really finalize it(projects have really outlined that I need to invest in a jointer, a bandsaw, and possibly a tablesaw(I might hold off till I get a year round job, so I can save up for a SawStop(I like all my digits.. )

Thanks
    -Brendan

Just remeber Brendan that saftey concerns and your grandfathers interest in your projects is most likely his way of showing love.

I would imagine that there are a lot of young men your age who would love to have a older male relative show an interest in what they were involved in.

Maybe you could interest him in doing a project togeather for someone in the family (ie. jewelry box for grandma or your mom or sister). That way you could demonstrate your careful ways of doing things, probably to the point of him feeling more comfortable with you working unsupervised.

In other words go easy on the old fella, he just has your best interests at heart.

Well, three things that pop into my mind:

1. I don't use power tools when other people are watching me that aren't helping. If Grandpa is helping, great. If not, just ask for privacy or work on it when he's not there.

2. It sounds like this is a communication problem with your Grandpa. Seriously, start a constructive conversation and figure out how you can get along better with him.

3. And most importantly.... if disorganization bothers people around you (that live with you) man up and clean up. If you don't want your work area messed with, put your tools away and clean up. You'll probably work better as well, and you'll develop good shop habits, but primarily out of respect for those that live with you, clean up after you are finished for the day. It sounds harsh, I know, but I wish someone would have instilled that into me when I was 15.

I had to lay down the law after a mishap. My shop is half of our 24'X40' garage. My son had some friends over and they were practicing some skateboarding tricks in the garage portion or so I thought! The next day, I went out to do some work and turned on my band saw. I started to cut a piece of wood and WHAM! the blade flew off the wheels. When I asked my son if he or any of his friends were messing around near my tools, he admitted that one of his friends was turning the knobs on the Band saw. That was the end of their using the garage for a play area.

Compromise. Try and keep the garage tidy and neat and keep your tools put up. It's better to spend 20 minutes after working on something to tidy it up than to come out and have that happen again. Try to impress wherever you can. Your grandfather will most likely be intent on compromising with you if you compromise for him.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Be tidy as mentioned, respectful of the tools, nice to those in charge and you will be amazed at how much you can get away with! I'd back off the "no cleaning while projects underway"--the best shops around clean up everyday.

Keep at it--the next generation will be woefully lacking in people who can use their hands and their minds. Even if you don't pursue woodworking in the future, you will have learned some great stuff. And had some fun too.

-Steve

shared space

Brendan,

I sympathize with your dilemma but you also have to realize that your shop is considered storage by others. I like the approach of offering to take classes and allowing safety inspections. Are you the only grandchild by the way?

Also before I would invest in some of the heavy equipment (jointer, planer etc. ) Look into a corded drill and a Kreg jig. The advantages of pocket holes are really worth the investment. It will add speed to your project (along with hidden screws) and give it a good finished look. A small bench saw will get you by for awhile. I got by with one for a couple of years in the beginning. My first table saw was salvaged from curb during a city wide clean up.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

As others have stated, you are sharing space with others. This is not your house. You may live there, but you do not own it. Treat others' property as good or better than you would your own. You may not understand this concept at such a young age (it was a lesson my father had a hard time teaching me, but I eventually learned it) but you will/may later...if you are lucky.

And also, as others have said, your grandfather is most likely looking out for your best interests...even if you don't know what they are...even if you THINK you know what they are. Defiance (while a typical, normal, and expected trait of teenagers) is not well received, and rarely gets the results intended. So, leaving the area messy and in an order that you can unfold, but left in a way to hopefully deter others from infiltrating, will many times backfire, leaving others (namely your parents and grandparents) left pondering your maturity and responsibility.

Take charge of your plight. Clean up. Organize. Command respect, don't demand it...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Having been a professional chef for many years, I am a firm believer in the concept of "misen place" it means "everything has its place". If you organize your tools, constantly in the same place, everytime. You no longer have to think about where it is, your hand can just go to it and it is there. This means creating an efficient clean workspace. No looking for a tool you just set down in the wrong place 5 minutes ago. Realizing you live with others and the tools are not yours, you have a couple of options. Get grandpa, on a "helping you organize" kick. Together, you help him organize the entire shop, every tool, from the biggest to the smallest needs a "home". Religiously when you use your tools, put them back, exactly in the same home. Use his OCD to your advantage, imagine never looking for that tool "that was just right here" again

Get your grandpa interested in this project, and use this to your advantage. Make a project out of it. Build a nice pegboard, with him. That way you can demonstrate what you are learning about joints, safety, and most of all responsibility to your tools and organization. It's an inexpensive project and will really help you out in the long run, it will probably alleviate yours, and your grandfather's frustration

Look at post #10 at the pegboard I just finished it would be a good exercise at some unfamiliar joinery for you too. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137858

As a Grandfather of five boys Brendan I can relate to your situation. Three of my grandsons are what we call around here " handy". They love to be in the shop and tend to use tools and not put them back where they found them. Every wrench that even looked like it might fit a nut or a bolt on a bicycle vanished over the course of about a year. I was considering dropping them off a couple of hundred miles from home and then if any of them made it back we could keep them. Loml pointed out that they probably inherited the gene for using their hands from my line and I needed to work out a way to deal with them. We finally got together on all tools going back to the box, bench, shelves or wherever we all got them from. I tended to lay out tools and such and then leave them that way till I got whatever done I was doing. Had to change my style as well as teach them a new one.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

MY question is, how do you folks/did you folks keep your non-woodworking family away from your projects/workshop
    I ask them to either help me - or - I mention that I need them to repay the money I loaned them because I need supplies or a new tool.
    They make themselves real scarce - real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Plavis View Post
    MY question is, how do you folks/did you folks keep your non-woodworking family away from your projects/workshop.
    I tell the young ones that EVERYTHING in my shop will hurt them. That's all it took.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

So I like your spirit but I think you are out of line a bit.

Maybe their perception is:

You are out there working where they do not want you to be.
    You do not clean up after yourslef.
    You leave tools and projects out.
    The stuff sits messy/cluttered untouched 5 days a week.
    You do not take out the trash like you should be doing.

The first sign of some sheet they have to sign with your rules - MAN - At 15 You would be pushing a lawn mower and walking the beans until your heels ached.

Never forget:
    You are a guest of every adult in that house (even Gandpas Social Security check trumps you)
    You do not own half of anything in that house
    You do not make any rules
    You going to ww school does not make you entitled to anything

It is time to get a work permit and a job bro. I think you need a 'boss" that is not a parent.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Brendan, as others have mentioned, if your workspace looks like the inside of a dumpster, it will be treated that way by other people.

Crafts people look after their tools, supplies and shop by making a "place for everything, and everything in its place" not just a slogan, but a lifetime work method.

As others have posted, get organised, put up some peg board, make your space look professional and organised. Once you look and act like a pro, you'll earn the respect you deserve.

As for keeping people out of my shop, I don't work that way. My shop is in my house, and my family live with me.

If either my wife or two daughters want to use the shop, I'll provide instruction and help until they are self sufficient, then they are welcome to use the shop. We have two rules, clean and organised, and if you leave a machine set up and need to keep that setup, put a sign on it so I don't reset it for my needs.

My youngest daughter is qualified to use all shop equipment except the new sliding saw/shaper (she needs training) and in fact is making herself an oak desk at the moment.

Good luck with your shop, regards, Rod.

Hi Brendan,

Others have already noted that your frustration, though understandable at your age, is not justified. You're still living under your parents/grandparents roof and protection, so your freedom is limited (probably every 15 year old's biggest complaint, right?). Keep that in mind and know that the freedom you seek is coming fast, for better or worse.

What I really want to tell you is how impressed I am by your communication style. It's the rare young man that can so freely communicate his feelings to, and ask for advice from others. I admire that. I also hope that you're able to use the great opinions and pieces of advice that are coming back to you. If you do, I think you will find yourself ahead of your peers in maturity and worldliness. It's like you have a huge network of older brothers and sisters here. While sometimes it might seem like we're a little harsh, we all want to see you succeed in your woodworking and your life. So, keep it up!