Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection duct question

BTW, having just done this... I highly recommend the 6" blast gates from Clear Vue. I built my own floor sweeps and retrofitted some machines to put on 6" outlets--the CV blast gates made it easy, because you can just cut a large hole, and then screw the gate to a wood backer through the existing screw holes used to hold the thing together. They also just feel a lot nicer than the black plastic ABS gates I used for my 4" piping once upon a time...

Blog Entries
    Mark, I bought my S&D pipe @ Horizon Irrigation when I used PVC. You can build rectangular duct out of plywood or MDF but it is not as efficient as pipes with a cylindrical cross section.

As you may have figured out, plumbing stores rarely carry 6"+ pipe. Irrigation suppliers are the best place to look.

Comparison of PVC pipe:

Sched 40:
    • Home DWV pipe available at Borg (both 6" & 4")

• Largest OD

• Thickest wall

• Heaviest

• Pipe slightly more expensive

• Fittings WAY more expensive

SDR 35
    • Available at most Borg in 4" some carry it in 6"

• Is often green or blue color

• Also called sewer & drain (S&D) and ASTM D3034

• Thinner wall than Sched 40

• Thicker wall than ASTM D2729

• Same OD as ASTM D2729

• Lighter than Sched 40, heavier than ASTM D2729

• Uses ASTM 3034, 3035, etc. fittings (same as ASTM D2729, BUT NOT SCHED 40)

ASTM 2729: This is the one you want
    • Also called sewer & drain, S&D, "Solid Perf", Thin wall PVC, etc. (one style is perforated)

• Only available in 4" at Borg

• You can find 6" at irrigation suppliers and John Deere Landscapes (coast-coast locations)*

• Thinner wall than Sched 40 and SDR 35

• Same OD as SDR 35 (uses same fittings)

• Lighter than both Sched 40 and SDR 35

• Cheaper than Sched 40 and SDR 35

* Unless you are a farmer, landscaper, or are in the building trades JD will attempt to charge you double!

Along with Ace hardware on line, McMaster-Carr online has 45 els, and 6-6-6-wyes. fVery fair shipping pricing, even though you don't get to see what that is when ordering. I ended up getting my 6-6-4 wyes and 22.5 els at Lowes, but not all of their stores carry it. I did find my pipe locally. The first 2 sticks were 1.86/ft. The last 3 were at 1.11/ft. It helps to find a big pipe yard and go look. Don't ask for S&D 2729. They don't have any clue what that is. Ask for 6" thin wall gravity fed drain pipe. The irrigation places here didn't have it, but I have 2 yards that have it now. Horizon listed above is one of them, but they weren't as friendly as the yard down town. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I used spiral 6" galvanized ducting (instead of PVC). NO need to worry about static electricity. Wasn't that expensive either.

I hope no one is worrying about static. I know Rockler, Woodcraft, and other vendors who sell grounding kits want the uninformed to worry.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 04-09-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Not specifically mentioned, but shouldn't be ruled out. 6" metal duct pipe. When you install the pipe, caulk the long joints when you snap them together and use foil tape on the connections. 6" metal duct pipe is easy to find, not too expensive, and not too hard to work with. Downsize to 4" at the tool and 4" blast gates are easy to come by.