Thread: Bosch Colt VS motor issues

Unhappy Bosch Colt VS motor issues

Hi,

I posted this on another site but didn't get any info that would help solve my problem. Hope someone here can help!

I have a variable-speed Bosch Colt I picked up a couple of years ago and have used for only a few projects. It worked flawlessly for me on them.

I haven't used it in the past year or so - it's just been living in its case. Yesterday I pulled it out for a quick job and when I turned it on, the variable-speed feature had become "self-engaging"... sort of like the Craftsman routers with the "automatic height adjustment" feature.

When I turn it on, the speed will run all over the place (this is just holding the unit in my hand - I'm not cutting anything). I blew out all the vents with compressed air, removed & inspected the brushes (although I wouldn't know a good brush from a bad one if my life depended on it) and just couldn't get it to behave.

Any motor experts out there have any insight as to what would be causing this problem and have any solutions on how I can fix this myself (I'm going to be mighty ticked off if I have to pay someone $50 + to fix an almost-new router I only paid $80 for...)

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone may be able to provide.

Cheers!
    Scott

First I'll tell you, I am NO motor expert but, my best guess is the speed switch/potentiometer is dirty. I would clean it well, maybe spray some WD40 on it and work the dial back and forth several times. I know volumn controls on stereos that get dirty and corroded do the same with the volumn level flucuating. Good luck with it. I love mine.
    Robbie

[QUOTE=Rob Hermann;1395652]
    I would clean it well, maybe spray some WD40 on it and work the dial back and forth several times. QUOTE]

I think a trip to Radio Shack for electronic control cleaner would be a better idea. It does it's job and evaporates.

I think a trip to Radio Shack for electronic control cleaner would be a better idea. It does it's job and evaporates.
    So can I use this without taking the router apart?

Thanks,
    Scott, who loves to take stuff apart, but would rather not in this case...

Yes, I think you could. I'm not familiar with the VS model, but I think you could use the included straw to spray between the wheel and housing; then rotate the wheel vigorously several times.

Thanks, Larry - I'll have to pick up some of the cleaner this weekend and give it a shot (pun not intended).

Scott

I second the suggestion of electronic cleaner. You can also pick it up at any of your local auto parts stores. CRC is the brand I usually see, but I'm sure there are others. Let it dry for quite a while before you try turning it on. A light coating with air movement dries fast, but if it's inside and has a chance to collect anywhere it will take some time to dry. It won't hurt to spray it and work the switch, then hit it with some compressed air.

If all that doesn't work, don't be afraid, tear into it to get to the VS wheel. There really isn't a whole lot to a router to booger up. Here's a link to a site that I've ordered from...parts diagram (and parts if you need to replace): http://www.ereplacementparts.com/bos...1119_9840.html