Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small basement - layout ideas please

Blog Entries
    Dan
    I also have a basement shop. Photos are in my photo gallery

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=55
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael MacDonald View Post
    chickens or no, I think the flat panel TV really helps a small space.

I would have replied to this thread had I seen it earlier, but have been analog almost all week.

I have a small space in Chicago. Odd shape. Pillar right in the middle and BIG furnace and water heater as wedged in as they could get. I suppose it would be worse. My biggest challenge has been to figure out how to position the TS so I get the most usage out of it for long rips and cross-cutting long pieces. As it is, if I need to go beyond 65 inches or so for either cut, I have to jack the TS up on the casters and angle it. I have been able to live with this.

As I have been adding tools, I have been looking more at benchtop... a drill press on a rolling cart. A DW735 that I can store out of the way and lug out on the bench when needed. I just saw the Rigid jointer go down in price in my area, but I think I need to hold back. My intention is to get a benchtop jointer, and am still mulling the grizz vs. a no-name.
    -It sounds like you're a good candidate for the small Jointer/Planer combo machines, like the 8" or 10" Jet units. I hear they're underpowered, but they ARE small and might work as a benchtop unit.

A bandsaw and miter saw are currently out of the question, which is disappointing. If I eventually do that, it will only be because I make some space out of more efficient storage or building a smaller work bench. I have some plans cooking to do that soon.- Yeah, I squeezed my 14" Rikon into my shop, and am glad I could find the space for it.
    I don't have the long wall space to devote to my SCMS, so it takes up workbench space as needed, and it's easy enough to move off the workbench and into the boiler room if I need the whole top to work with.

I have been doing some big glue-ups lately, and I find I have to do some work outside the space. Last night I was gluing up some small storage cabinets, and I must have knocked myself or knocked over something a dozen times as I ran around the unit getting the clamps all in place... it is a pain to have limited space--everything seems to go slower.

It is a little depressing to walk in each evening, but once I get all the lights on and get to work, contentment sets in.

Some pics attached...
    We all manage with the things in the way when we work down in the basement. I think Zach is still working WAY harder than me even when I'm having a bad day in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    Dan

Very nice Dave! Well lit, clean and tidy. Gives me a goal to shoot for when I take over the rest of my basement and remove the 70's dark paneling that's still attached to the walls in the front section. There's a sleeper stud floor that's sitting under all our stuff. I cringe at the thought of how much mold might be lurking there when I finally get to pulling it all up. and gain back the 2 inches of height when the false floor gets thrown out. The few sections that I've attacked in the past give clues about how bad a low lying section is going to be. Anyway, great job and nice picture album too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    Dan

Dave, can you tell me more about the casters on your Rikon bandsaw?That looks just like my 18" Rikon and I'm getting ready to put it on a base as I can't see an easy way to just add casters.

Never mind Dave, I found an old thread where you mention using the Jet 1200 lb mobile base for your Rikon, and that's the one I have on order. It sounds like it will work just fine.

Thanks,

Tom
    Last edited by Tom W Armstrong; 04-25-2010 at 1:06 AM.