Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW! Friends of The Creek Directory Service, Check This Out

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I had hoped that we would receive more comments about the new service but the topic has proved to be less than popular. Given the number of people who requested that we provide the service I am surprised.

We can't fix or improve the new directory without feedback folks, tell us what you think!
    As soon as we are back home from the ShopBot Jamboree in North Carolina we will place the new buttons which I hope will attract some attention to the directory.

If there's one thing I've got, it's suggestions.

Since the Friends Of The Creek is a tool for everybody and a revenue source, why not make it more pronounced and accessible. I'd put a button where everyone sees it.

Edit: I didn't read the last line until now. I guess you've already thought about the buttons!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 04-24-2010 at 12:15 PM.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Thanks Doug,

I had planned to put a large red button on the bottom of every page here. I didn't want anyone to get them confused with a banner ad or a regular forum button. I do want the directory to be accessible at all times just in case someone decides that they need to look up a company or a service.

There are a lot people here who own small companies. I'm betting that Members of this Community would prefer to do business with people they are familier with if the price is right. I also figured that if one Member had a very large planner, sawmill, laser, CNC machine, etc, they might be willing to offer their services to those who need them occasionally. This type of system doesn't interfere with our forums yet it keeps the information available at the tip of your fingers so to speak.

This was suggested in the engravers forum many moons ago so it wasn't my idea. There was a very large group of people who responded that they would participate if the system had certain functions. Now we have something for everyone to at least look at and offer their suggestions for improvements/changes. I would like to think that we got it right the very first time but that rarely happens

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I had hoped that we would receive more comments about the new service but the topic has proved to be less than popular. Given the number of people who requested that we provide the service I am surprised.

We can't fix or improve the new directory without feedback folks, tell us what you think!
    As soon as we are back home from the ShopBot Jamboree in North Carolina we will place the new buttons which I hope will attract some attention to the directory.

Keith,

I'm just getting back into the swing of things after some surgery. Don't give up on me as I am really excited about FOTC, I just have a large stack of work to get through first.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    If there's one thing I've got, it's suggestions.

Since the Friends Of The Creek is a tool for everybody and a revenue source, why not make it more pronounced and accessible. I'd put a button where everyone sees it.

Edit: I didn't read the last line until now. I guess you've already thought about the buttons!
    Nice idea, I might use something like that to start, thx.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Looks great.
    Thanks for your work on this. As soon as I get my website updated, I will sign up.

PB

Get in as early as you can, in browse mode the records are presented in the order they were created. The faster you get in the better position you will have. You can edit your record at any time to make changes as necessary.

We are betting that hundreds of companies will eventually join Friends of the Creek, it should be very active as people here start using it to find tools, supplies and services.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-28-2010 at 10:11 PM.

When we set up our FOTC, we have the option to set a link to our profile page. Does this still keep our email address hidden from everone/everthing?

Thanks.

Paul,

Yes, your email address is protected from view.

I am wondering if there is a search for FOTC location capability? I was looking for an engraver in Houston and typed in "Houston", and came up with one entry. I thought, how cool! So then I typed in New York just to see what I would get and got nothing. I typed in northeast and got nothing. So I guess if it is not the first word of the company we will not get it through a search. Would it be good to put the location first in the listing and then the name if a Friend wanted people to find them by location? Maybe this could be a second listing? I've seen this question many times on the creek, and also it could come in handy if groups wanted to form meetings as has happened in the past. Just wondering, not trying to make more work for you! FOTC was a great idea and needs to be continued!

Another question about search in general: is the only option going straight to google? I like to use the "old" system because it listed related posts right there and didn't get all mixed up with ads, ebay listings and whatnot.

thanks, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee,

Aaron built the FOTC Directory so he should be the one to answer your specific questions. I can only add that when Aaron and I originally discussed the FOTC it was agreed that every field in the database was supposed to be included in each search. People are supposed to be able to search via city, state, zip code, keyword, etc. The whole idea was that people could find any service and location easily.

We won't ever use the location information from our Members database here for search activity. Our first obligation is to protect personal information that was never intended to be shared publicly. In the FOTC Directory the information provided is volunteered by the owner of the record or not depending on the owners preference.

We will always be looking for ways to improve the FOTC Directory, it will always be a work in progress. Adding the FOTC signature link capability this year is more valuable to those who are active here, every time you post your link is available for everyone to see. This is in line with what we originally discussed, a method for those who belong to this Community to let the people know that they can acquire various services right here and frequent businesses that support The Creek.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-27-2010 at 6:51 PM.

Search functions can be a tricky thing. Aaron probably just needs to add word:space:word to the regex pattern. Something like: /^([a-z0-9]+\s+[a-z0-9]+)$/i
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Thanks for your explanation, Keith. I totally understand and APPRECIATE your careful use of our information. I have since figured out that if you type in the abbreviation for a state, you get the listings for that state. So the search is working, I just didn't know how to make it happen!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee,

Thanks for the information. I will ask Aaron if he can produce a cross reference list that will provide the appropriate results whether a search is made using the state name or an abbreviation.

Thanks Again!

Dee,

Thanks for finding a bug with multiple-word searches. They are functioning properly now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    I am wondering if there is a search for FOTC location capability? I was looking for an engraver in Houston and typed in "Houston", and came up with one entry. I thought, how cool! So then I typed in New York just to see what I would get and got nothing. I typed in northeast and got nothing. So I guess if it is not the first word of the company we will not get it through a search. Would it be good to put the location first in the listing and then the name if a Friend wanted people to find them by location? Maybe this could be a second listing? I've seen this question many times on the creek, and also it could come in handy if groups wanted to form meetings as has happened in the past. Just wondering, not trying to make more work for you! FOTC was a great idea and needs to be continued!

Another question about search in general: is the only option going straight to google? I like to use the "old" system because it listed related posts right there and didn't get all mixed up with ads, ebay listings and whatnot.

thanks, dee
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Aaron,

The FOTC directory is mostly broken. I wasn't going to complain, but I think its necessary to give constructive criticism as it is basically worthless.

1. Sawmillcreek is a huge site yet I type in my businesses name in Google and it is not linked to FOTC. I've tried different keywords and ideas and not once does it come up with anything. If the two don't work together, I'm not sure there is really a point to the directory.

2. Nothing is hotlinked. If I put in my website, it's not a link. It's just text in a different color. I have to ask, what is the point?

3. There is no email option. Again, web based directory without a direct way to email is pretty pointless.

Overall, it's a nice little directory for the forum but as a business advertisement it's absolutely worthless.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving