Thread: Rockler Dust Right hose opinions?

Rockler Dust Right hose opinions?

Is there anyone that is using Rockler's Dust Right Expandable Hose? It would solve most of my dust collector issues that can be currently solved but I am curious how well it works.

Opinions?

Blog Entries
    Disclaimer: this opinion is worth half what you are paying for it ;-)

The flexibility they brag on is the thing I try to avoid. When I am required to switch from rigid duct to hose I blast gate it right there at the transition. That way the "shock-absorber" of unused hose is out of the circuit when not in use. The Rockler hose is long and extremely flexible. That's a good thing in a vacuum but not in a DC IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My opinion is worth about what you pay for it.
    But my opinion is that if you are using a flexible hose now, then you will see little difference in suction in the switch to the "slinky" hose. What you will see a difference in, is in stowing and floor space taken up in use. The hose collapses in length till it is taking up a minimum of floor space.
    I have a small basement shop, and connect the single hose from my dust collector to each tool as needed. For my use, the "slinky" hose is an improvement.
    Of course the "slinky" hose was not intended for use in a permanent connection so comparing it to one is apples and oranges.
    Just my opinion, YMMV,
    Mike
    Last edited by mike holden; 04-12-2010 at 9:55 AM. Reason: clarity
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I have one. It is very flexible and stretchy. I connect it to a nozzle of sorts to vacuum the floor, and also use it to connect to some mobile tools that I don't have permanent DC plumbed to, yet.

It goes on sale for ~$45. I think that's a good price, but it's not a replacement for hard pipe or for the "normal" flex duct that is MUCH less flexible. If you want to use it to connect to one tool at a time around your shop (realizing that flex duct of any sort is a poor DC solution), it will work perfect for that.

I have most of the Dust Right pieces. I like the connectors - they are handy for moving the hose among devices.

However, the hose is very heavy. It normally doesn't matter, but if you connect the hose to something off the ground (in my case the back of my router fence), it puts a lot of strain on the connection. You end up having to support the hose with something else like a table.

If you are running the hose on the floor and your connections are low the extra weight doesn't matter.

Roger

I like it as a portable hose. I wouldn't spend what it costs if I was going to cut it into small sections for making machine connections.

The hose works as advertised. However, it's strengths could also be a weakness for small DC's. It stretches, it bends, and it gets long. All of which can kill your CFM.

I've got one hooked up to my Oneida V-3000 cyclone and it runs to my over-arm BG. I can easily disconnect it and use it on my outfeed table or run it over to my BS or shaper.

I bought the hose and the vac attachments. I move it from machine to machine and it works very good on the jointer and bandsaw, but not so well on the ts. That is the fault of the table saw's dust collection. I have it hooked up to my Clearvue, which certainly handicaps the clearvue. It really should be looking into 6" pipe.

Use it with the vac attachments and it really works great with one caveat. The clearvue has enough static pressure that you are constanly fighting against the pull of the hose. Works good, but quite the workout!

I guess I should have stated how I would be using it. I have a small (very small) shop that is used for several other things besides my shop and shared with the other renters of the house. Due to the size of the shop and the fact that I am renting I really cant do a fixed DC with hard piping for the lines. I am currently connecting one machine at a time to a JET DC1100 via a flex hose. The hose that I have is short and is a pain switching from tool to tool and I also have to roll the DC around which often necessitates moving the table saw if I want to collect at the lathe. Consequently I generally dont use the DC. I having been looking at the Dust Right system as a way to leave the DC in the corner out of the way and easily move the hose from machine to machine.

Will it adequately do that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Hendrix View Post
    Due to the size of the shop and the fact that I am renting I really cant do a fixed DC with hard piping for the lines.
    It sounds like you have just the sort of environment where this product would have more pro than con. Others using it as you describe are doing well with it. I have done the 'move the hose' bit in the past and if this product would have been around then, I would have tried it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Hendrix View Post

Will it adequately do that.
    The short answer is YES.

Thanks guys!

Wayne,

I have a complete Dust Right master system that I am getting ready to sell. I now have dedicated DC piping in place and no longer need the Dust Right.
    I will take a complete inventory of what I have and the price. It is in very good condition and will be much cheaper than buying it new. If you are interested in it, send me a PM.

Michael Heffernan

Michael,
    I am very interested in your Dust Right system. I am a newbie so I don't know what a PM is or how to communicate with you except in this manner. If you can send me a list and a quote I would be grateful. My email is camcam1944@gmail.com. Thanks!

You are replying to post that is almost 6 years old